sprinkler heads in beds?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobbygedd, May 7, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we are doing a sod job, and some minor bed work (adding boulders, stone, etc) there are established plants there already. the home owner is having a sprinkler system installed. my advice was to just have enough heads to water the lawn, i don't want any in the beds, or any that shoot water into the beds. the sprinkler installer disagreed with me, saying the beds /plants should be watered at the same time as the lawn. who is right?

2. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what the customer wants.....

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You are right..the beds should be on drip and will take alot less watering than the lawn water.They should be on seperate zones.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sure that the heads in the beds would be misters not regular heads, so yes the sprinkler guy is right as rain.

5. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I'm all for bed irrigation. But I have one client who has a zillion pop up mistys at the edges of the beds and I have taken several out with the mower...none this year yet.

Plus most people dont realize that those mistys really put out the water for the most part depending on what nozzles are being used but stock nozzles lay it down and people consistently time them like they would a rotary and over water.

imho.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea except shrubs and plants should be watered at the root zone if possible..the less moisture sprayed onto the leaves the better.

7. Mr. Vern

Mr. Vern LawnSite Senior Member

What't the reasoning behind this statement?

8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i thought you were the self proclaimed "king of the lawn"

9. Evergreenpros

Evergreenpros LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to remember that shrubs with root systems 3-5 feet below ground need to be misted for 10 minutes every day. No wait, I'm not selling sprinkler systems, that doesn't make any sense.

Living in Western Washington I have never witnessed any shrub in any bed that has ever been stressed due to lack of water. I have however sprayed billions of weeds in beds that get misted every day with these hairbrained sprinkler systems people get here.

Don't forget, in addition to the heads in the beds the landscaper sells them, you have to remember the plastic weed blocker they installed under the mulch. So how again can water being misted at ground level for less than 5 hours get to a root system 3-5 feet below ground? Through the plastic barrier? Through the mulch? It can't!

Maybe in the desert it would be wise to have a drip system when trying to grow plants that shouldn't even be planted there but for the most part they are for show and $$ for the installer.

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i personally would like to see shrubbery hand watered. established plants almost never need to be watered. shooting water into the beds makes weeds, weeds, and more weeds