1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler heads

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Viseras lawn service, May 15, 2005.

1. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

Hey guys,
    I have a question about the individual sprinkler heads. I am not in this business, but i do have an older system that was installed before i moved into this house.. i use it every so often but there are two concerns.

1) Is it normal for there to be alot of excess water around each head....i mean not actually spraying out...seems to just be seeping from the hole made by each head. it also takes about 10 mins for it to stop doing this...i assume it it just the water going out of the line?

2) I have a box of Hunter.....heads and have replaced the ones that were broken by mowers....is there any special way to get them to turn a specific way...... some of the heads are spraying into the woods...into trees...etc.

Thanks for the help~~
  2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This is most common in the last head or if you are on a good slope. If it really bothers you look into replacing them with I-20's or PGP's with the check valve option.

Depends. If your replacement heads were the PGP's that just rotate 360 then your out of luck, however most PGP's have an arc adjustment spot on the top (It looks like a two arrows going around in a circle with a + and a -).

Twist the head to the far right, and rotate the entire body until its facing the desired spot. Then turn the arc adjust spot (Using that little white key i nthe case of hunters) towards the - until you get to desired left side stopping point.

When the water is on, it will actually go further than you think it will just twisting it dry, so be sure to adjust with the water on, and watch it for a rotation.
  3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

4. Viseras lawn service

from 6

Thanks....so the seepage is not really a big deal?
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No big deal, unless it never stops seeping.
  6. Viseras lawn service

from 6

It stops...after about 10-20 mins after i switch zones.