1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler/Irrigation checkups

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sailinstud420, Jan 16, 2005.

1. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

Just a question for those of you that do sprinkler checkups in the spring. After the long winter months how much do you charge and what do you charge by. Do you flat rate everyone and then charge an hourly rate plus parts? HOw do you work this out? and what do you charge. I have done plently of this stuff for a few commericial buildings that my dad owns, but that was all hourly... In my state you don't have to be licensed to do this either.....
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

For check ups all of my regular Yearly maintenance accounts are included for irrigation startup and weatherization.
    At this time I sub all my irrigation however for startup I charge 25.00 to check a regular 3-8000 sqft yard. I turn on and check all sprinklers to see if they are spraying and aligned.

If something needs repaired I sub out and bill accordingly.

Weatherization is 30.00
    We don't freeze below 1" here so it is make sure all sprinklers are still working and turning off system. This includes going through and clearing all heads of over grown grass. This is with the same 3-8000sqft yard.

It is not much but it doesn't't take much time.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have a $65.00 service call for irrigation. then hourly.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I forgot to post above that we are always on the property anyways when we do this.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

$65.00 per hour--hour min. Most of my full service accounts have this built into the billing but those were the rates that they were figured at.
    Of course any repairs or extras are billed seperate.
  6. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

In spring of 2003 a company did a big marketing blow out here, newspaper and valpack. We thought they were crazy, all of the other LCO's and the vendors. They offered a "Irrigation Tune Up" for $79.95. Who ever heard of an iirrigation tune up?

They would come out, turn the system on, adjust and clean the heads. Parts were extra if anything had to be replaced. 15 to 20 minutes tops. They blew our doors off and everyone elses too. People didn't know the difference so they related to the term "tune up" not knowing better. The company probably did at least 150 a day until summer.

But as all things come to pass, that was their one good thing they did. They only made it in business one year and closed. That was spring 2003. Nobody picked up the torch for 2004. It is to early to say for 2005. If I had not sold I would have done something like that too.

Just think... 6 solo's running 150 calls a day at a minimum of $79.95. That is $11,992.50 per day. What do you think the costs are? I watched them damn near go door to door they were scheduled so close together. Not a bad days work.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I know absolutely zero about the irrigation business Brian, but a lot about marketing in general. The idea of a "Irrigation Tune-up" gets my attention easily (even a housewife's as well). A tune-up (of any kind) equates to activities involved into getting something running properly, and in the long run, saving money as well.

Don't know what happened to this company that tried this idea and closed after one year...but the idea is a novel one I would say.
  8. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I can't agree with you more. I am not ashamed to say they smoked my a$$. I was preparing to do what they did in March here. Then I developed more free time :p

The company was started by a young kids from FLA. He came up here, bought a lot on credit but did not have the experience to run 10 to 15 crews. Management of his business caused him to fail. Good person. Just did not want to wait to grow and wanted everything NOW. If he had run the growth over 3 to 5 years he would have been ok. He also tried to many things at once rather then specializing on one area and expanding.

I only wish that I had come up with the idea. Their crews were everywhere doing "Tune Ups". I've never seen anything like it. I would pull into a subdivision and there would be 3 or 4 trucks doing these "Tune Ups. It was amazing... and a lesson learned.