Sprinkler prices

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by LawnsRUsInc., Apr 27, 2007.

1. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What do you find to be the easiest way to bid for irrigation installations. Is it easier to bid by the sqft or by expected time and materials?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

There's plenty of info, ad nauseum, in he archives.

3. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

ive only been in the biz for a few years..and still learning the bidding process..

what I do..
    Get the GPM/PSI from house ie Town water or well.
    then calculate your estimate of zones depending on your preference on rot0r/spray zones..we use polly pipe around New England for the resi installs...
    I have learned from a few different people how to bid..no one is the same..I use a flywheel...and try to Zone my heads in same area's...ie driveway/shadded areas/shrub beds....also depends on if you manifold or what ever...up here we bid @ 500 a Zone sometimes 600 if its a doctor or lawyer..hehe..
    but we have these certian ethnic groups that bid @ 300 a zone and mix sprays/rotors......and it ends up costing the customer more water/time on repairs/re-design....

ill try to help ya and tell ya what i know...Im not saying all what i do cause im a "pup" to the biz.....but ill try to help ya any way i can brotha

4. LawnsRUsInc.

LawnsRUsInc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Hey thanks CAPT yea i hear you and what is a flywheel.

And Mike Leary u know i did search it and couldnt find much on how people price it. SO IF THERE IS A PROBLEM DONT OPEN THE POST AND DONT RESPOND!!

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You must have used the wrong search parameters, because the topic has been discussed at length, and it's all archived. Me, I'd rather type about wearing bunny slippers on a rainy April morning.
    [​IMG]

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

LawnsRusINC.-flywheel is what we in new england call a measure wheel...you know put it on the ground and roll to determine head spacing for rotar/spray heads...some idiots around here actually flag out estimates with different color zones the whole 9....idiots...what I think you really should know is you GPM/PSI how the water gets to you...Is there any Static pressure loss in travelling far distances ect?
    -What you like to use for rot0r's (spacing apart)? i do the pgp @ about 23 feet....they have a nice stream control.....but they go as far as 30
    -in tight areas are you gona use micro misters, 570 spray nozzles-they rule for the selection on nozzles..
    -where you are gona mainifold
    -how much wire/pipe you will use for feeds...
    -here is a great one the customer always bites:
    if they are uncertain about irrigating a part of their lawn that is not of an immediate concern...tell them for a small price you can drag a wire and a pipe to said remote location install a faucet and burry the wire..that way you wont have to worry about getting your main/wire in that area..

1 of my bosses likes to just bid @ 500 $ a zone...and a few labor/materials if any hand trenching is necessary...
    the other likes to go 525 a zone first offer everything included....honestly they both are around the same...

I think the trick part is zoning.....

and i would like to learn what the archives have to say....Wet boots can you link me in the right direction of said info?
    Please?

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

9. I would like you to please come install my 4 zone system.....I will be using I-40s and I have 200gpm to work with...

I expect it to be 2 grand...

thank you very much....

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Wait wait! Motor home pulling out...I'll do it for $450 unless your a dentist.