Sprinkler Pump

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by griddeath, May 6, 2003.

1. griddeath

griddeath LawnSite Member

I currently have an 11 zone toro 6000 system. There are 4 heads on each zone I need more pressure out of these heads as my contractor I believe spaced them out too far apart (approx 35'). I was thinking about switching to more powerful heads but would cost a small fortune considering I have 44 of them. I have town water pressure is ok but was wondering if I added a sprinkler pum (have heard good things about Gould pumps) that could get more pressue out of the heads to get more coverage. I am hioping this is the answer but do you think that both will have to be done meaning pump and head replacement. If the heads are the issue3 what would you recommen as a reliable more powerful head. The toros are alright but am not thrilled with them I alwauys have 4-5 heads that dont work when spring comes along and they are a pain to adjust the radius. The system is only 4 years old so it kills me to make another big investment in it.

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no such thing as a more powerful head. Only water pressure is power. OK pressure does not compute to a psi reading. This is a job for a local professional. There is too much to know and learn to solve this problem here. Try to find one that is an IA certified designer or contractor or associate designer. Otherwise have a few chats over the phone with several and then invite those that seem most knowledgable and best able to explain to you out to the house. Do not let price be a priority.

3. griddeath

ok bad choice of words- not power -distance. I am looking into the Rainbird 5000+ for better coverage. The question is the pump by putting 1 in will I increase PSI/ Pressure to the head therefore getting better coverage, How much of a difference will it make?For example if the head is covering an approx 24' radius will adding the pump get me an additional 8-10' out of each head. I already spent 5k on the system not looking to drop anther 5 - Im looking for asn upgrade an am willing to spend another 1000-1500. BTW price is always an issue unless you have a money tree in your backyard.

4. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to be the bearer of bad news also, But there are just too many variables to answer your question. Yes I do think that Rainbird 5000 series heads are better at coverrage than toros. However, they do not some how majically create more pressure or GPM if the heads are not properlly spaced for your water source. A pump could be the answer. But you need a pro to make that determination based on an on site inspection.

5. brentlent

brentlent LawnSite Member

First, I'm not up on the Toro rotors, but check the nozzels. (I'm assuming you can change them out for more or less GPM and a different radius.)

Adding a booster pump may be a solution if you have low pressure. However, if your main and laterals are all 1" you need to keep the GPM at the correct level. I never go above 12 or 13 GPM for a 1" pipe.

A cheap (inexpensive) alternative would be to replace the toro's with Hunter PGP's - $10 -12 each . You can get a 35' radius without a high GPM. Assuming you have 50-60 psi. at the head.

A lot of companies around here put in the bare min. in residential jobs and strech the available GPM. Then, a new development hook on to you water supply and your heads don't pop.

Try looking at http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/ for ideas on troubleshooting. However, I suggest calling in a professional.

brent

6. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

that isnt a cheap alternative, it is voodoo irrigation. Check the operating psi first, I would doubt it is 50 - 60 psi if you go to smaller nozzles you wont any better distance on the rotors. Try this take one rotor off the system by capping it, see if the performance goes up, on the remaining three.

7. brentlent

Bruce, Voodoo?

Maybe.

Yes, check pressure first. I said that I don't know much about Toro rotors, but there are obviously some other brands that have more efficient usage and throw patterns.

Q) Did the rotors ever give head to head coverage? If it's on startup this yr. perhaps you have a leak(s) or an obstruction somewhere.
    Q) What time of the day are you testing the system? Mid day, or evening may have reduced pressure and performance.

If you really want to troubleshoot it yourself, check the pressure and try capping a head as Bruce suggests. Irrigation repair is all about deductive reasoning. However, it's a lot easier to do in person than to try and explain it over the phone or email.

brent

8. griddeath

Appreciate the advice- since im not happy with the toro heads Im going to change them out i just ordered 20 Rainbird 5000+. i am thinking about ordering 20 hunters any advice on this or are they pretty much the same? I have to say the PSI is up there I cant speak for the GPM. I can also crank up the psi by turning up the pressure reducer screw. The heads are 2.5 gpm at 4 heads per zone its only 10 gpm a zone that shouldnt be hard to match. I am going to change out the heads see where im at and then possibly look to improve by means of a pump. The coverage has been average from the start at best, that has to do with the installation, maybe better heads will solve the problem.

9. brentlent

Griddeath,

I don't know that I would assume new heads are going to solve your problem. I would suggest picking up 4 (enough for 1 zone) if your determined to replace the heads and see if it solves your problem. What series rotors do you have now? I went to the Toro site and didn't see a 6000 series rotor. Do a web search and find the technical specs. for the rotors you have and match the nozzle and your psi to see what the radius should be. If it's way off, the problem may be somewhere else.

Also, I would stick with one brand and series of heads if possible. That way, you can share parts, nozzles, etc.

Don't forget to match the precipitation rates on the nozzles.

Ex) a full circle rotor needs to have twice the GPM of a half circle because it's covering twice the area.

If you simply put the same nozzles in all the rotors you will over water some areas and under water others.

Bruce- correct me if I'm over simplifying, but I would hate for Griddeath to spend $300 to find out it was something else.

brent

10. griddeath

I have the super 600 series toro rotors they are a major pain to deal with - I am going to try the rainbirds at least ill have peace of mind with the heads and start deducting from there- speaking of toro systems is anyone familiar with a 284-1504 series toro valve I need to replace it and I cannot find this particular valve anywhere and I dont even want to think about pulling the whole valve out.