1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Sprinkler system start up

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Sep 24, 2005.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, This isnt a dumb question, just a dumb time of year.

we maintain a church and the sprinkler system is normally handled by a guy that is no longer there. They passed the turn on the sprinkler job to me. I know it wont be on for too long with winter coming but we are in a bad drought. It was never turned on this year

I need to turn the system on since the winterization was done last fall.
    What do i do!!! PLEASE HELP...
    1 turn on..?
    4 etc. Thanks alot!
  2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Short answer is you didn't give us a long enough question :)
    Longer answer requires more info, like what kind of system, what type of backflow, how is it connected to the water supply, etc. If your not familiar with the correct procedure, I would recomend finding someone qualified to do it this time, and be there when it gets done.
  3. CrewCutEnterprises

Yea see I have no idea. Ill have to stop by and look at the system today. But other than that I dont know, it has 6 zones i believe because there are 6 valves outside.
  4. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Automated or manual system? Just a few quick hints.

1. Turn main line on at cross-connection protection (i.e. PVB, RP device. etc.); make sure there are no main line leaks or leaks to the supply side of the valves; repair all necessay leaks.

2. Manually turn on each zone one at a time; check for leaks in the laterals, risers, swing joints, etc. and fix; check all sprinklers on the zone to make sure there are not missing/broken/clogged/improperly adjusted/improperly arc-ed/improperly zoned (different types on same zone) sprinkler; repair/replace as necessary until all zones are propely manually functioning; automated valves: check to make sure that they are on if equipped with a flow-control.

3. Automated system: check controller to insure that it has power and is properly programmed; put system through "program check" which will turn each zone on one at a time or "manually start each zone" (via controller); repair problems such as wiring, valve diaphrams or solenoids; make sure all valves shut down properly after activation; program controller for type of plant material/turf/ET.

5. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Well are you positive that the system wasnt turned on . Depends how many people had acess to the area . It could have been charged and never used. If this is a regular customer , a bit of advice , if you are not 100 per cent sure what you are doing , sub it to a licensed irrigation contractor . its not worth losing a regular customer by trying to provide services you have no experience in.
  6. CrewCutEnterprises

Ok, its an automatic system. 5 zones, Weather matic.

It must have been turned on by someone earlier in the year. I turned on the water and found an exterior leak that was made by what looks like a hack saw, (very strange) its a soccer field that is 25000 sq ft. It is at a local church we maintain. I Turned off the water at that point, I will be advising the church to send a irrigation company there but i want to be there while they fix it so i can help them or learn from their service.

Do you guys ever offer sprinkler service as and add on?? To my landscaping and lawn maintenance??

md irr, I agree, I know when im in too deep. But I love to learn, but i hate to learn by mistakes, so I would rather not make them at my expense. Would you let me learn some from you guys for a day??
  7. Mdirrigation

It sounds like it will need to be blown out this season . As far as learning from us for a day , it takes a whole lot longer to learn the basics than a day. You being there while its fixed , scheduling is also a bit tricky 10 stops a day , you dont know the times you will be at a service call or the time you will leave
  8. CrewCutEnterprises

How would you recommend learning? What part of md do you work out of?

Thanks alot
  9. Mdirrigation

I worked the winters installing Irrigation in florida . Anne Arundel county is base , queen anns , howard , and Balto counties .
  10. CrewCutEnterprises

Whats the name of the company??
    You serve a very large area.