sprinkler systems

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnsnake, Dec 3, 2003.

1. lawnsnake

lawnsnake LawnSite Member

I am interested in getting into installing and servicing sprinkler systems...I have looked into going to rainbird tech school, but they only offer classes certain times of the year in my area...I have thought about going to a company that offers this service away from my home and learning from experience...anyone has any answers on how to learn the best method and the ins and outs. :gunsfirin
  2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Way back when.... I took a class from an industry supplier. They teach you the basics but it is a way to start. When I have questions about a problem one of my largest sources of help has been from the owner of the largest sprinkler company in town.
  3. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Once you understand the principles of operation and equations, the rest is field experience. Try installing one in your own yard first and see if you want to continue.
  4. SodKing

I picked 10 people, good clients, who didn't have irrigation systems but I know wanted them, and told them I was getting into irrigation installation and if they were willing to be ginuea pigs, I would install the system for 25% above cost. Worked like a charm. It was a good learning experience and I have not experienced any major problems with those systems at all.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

...and just a word of advice....stay wll away from "rain-bird" "systems". I equate these to about the same calibur as "k-rain". If you're going to do it, do it right, and use Hunter. You install them once, and you have a good reputation. Not problem-this, and problem-that. Do some research on this, and you will see what I mean.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

"Simplified Irrigation Design" second Edition by Pete Melby. Is a good start but nothing beat Field experience.

I trust you have checked your State licensing regulation. Here in Florida it is harder to qualify to take the test than it is to pass it. Irrigation is both plumbing and electrical work, Therefore the above book has charts for both. However learning the different manufactures parts is the hardest part. Especially if you do repair work.

I find in my area repair is a bigger income producer than install. The reason for this two idiots in town low-ball each other for new construction. New installs can be less brain work and more back while Repair work is less back but more brain.
  7. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I thought I wanted to get into installs but I'm not sure anymore, we'll see. My business card says repairs but when the clients asks, it's only going to get them new heads or maybe a replacement pipe.
  8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Runner - no offense, but I've been in the irrigation bus. for over 20 yrs. Rainbird, Weather-Matic, Hunter, Toro, Nelson, K-Rain, and a few other obsolete brands. I've seen failures of every brand and Hunter is near the top. Rainbird is, by far, the best on the market.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Wow! That's the first time I've ever heard that! :) We've always had a wider margin of calls on most of these other brands than with Hunters. Granted, when you start getting into the lower grades of nozzles and such, there is a margin there. The Hunter Stainless models have just always been a winner for us. I see that Rainbird does have a newer series out (5000) that doesn't look too bad, though. It's just hard to switch after such good luck with performance.
  10. SodKing

I get far fewer complaints from clients when I install Rainbird clocks. With Hunters' digital only interface the clients get lost in teh progam and then I end up going out to teach clock school. They (CEO's Doctors Dentists...) need to be able to see the program section they are working on.