Sprinkler zone for flower pots?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by cleancutccl, Feb 21, 2008.

1. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

Have a customer that wants to put in 2 big pots on their deck for climbing vines, they will be full sun so he wants them to be irrigated. What are the steps needed and supplies to look for to do this? We do regular sprinkler work but haven't done this yet. Obviously run a valve somewhere in the vicinity and a pressure regulator of some sort to run a smaller hose to the pots. Have people used funny pipe or use something smaller that is a little more flexible? Thanks for any info.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Use drip irrigation, or the related micro-sprinkler bubblers that run on drip systems (at last, a situation for a Shrubbler!)

3. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Beat me to it, Shrubblers are the ticket.

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

My setup would be...

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]
    Depending on pressure desired for shrubblers, prob 30, if only 2 pots.

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

+

[​IMG]

=

[​IMG]
    At the end of the day.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

What hoskm said.

I put mine on a separate zone, and run rigid 1/4 tubing through the pots drain hole and either throw a shrubbler or bubbler on it. Of course that only works for pots that will remain in the same spot, but keeps it nice and neat. :)

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto that...Netafim rings seem to me more even as to application, they are
    pressure compensating, so no need for a prv. The shrubblers & micro work
    fine, but I'd use two (or more) in each pot depending on the size. I've seen
    pots with dry spots with just one head.:)

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Good point. Smaller pots will take one shrubbler/bubbler, larger pots 2 will be needed. Course it depends on what is planted in the pot as well. A single plant placed in the middle of the pot might be better off with 1/4 inline drip in a ring around the plant as Mikey suggested.

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

No need for the PRV for the tubing or preinstalled emitters, but it may be necessary for the other fittings. look at the 1/4" ell fitting pictures from hoskm01. With really good pressure, and only a little bit of water actually exiting the Netafim tubing, those ells can blow apart from the tubing. Believe me, I know! :) BUT, if you use the flow control on that DVF valve, it can help compensate for that. Yes, I know the FC doesn't reduce pressure. But with minimal flow through it it will help keep from blowing off.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, is Mikey getting senile? ;)

10. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

As Dana stated, agreed, prv to help with the other fittings, keep 'em in place. Up to 80 PSI here will shoot your barb or emitter skyward, or at least give a nice leak.