Sprinkler ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

Do you that have sprinkler systems on your route, do you AVOID running over them? Will it hurt them if your tractor tire runs over them? Hope you don't think this is a STUPID question, as I just landed Condo's for next season and they have a sprinkler system and would really hate to SCREW things up the first cut in the spring. When all done there will be 17 seperate units. I really don't want to SCREW this up. Thanks for your advice. And I hope you don't think I'm a DUMB@@@ but I really know nothing about sprinkler systems except it means no DROUGHT.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

About the only thing you have to watch out for is heads that sometimes stick in the up possition. If you see one, fix it, have them fix it, but in the mean time, push it down before mowing. ;)
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Your mowers shouldn't have an effect on them at all, unless like Eric said, there is a head stuck in the up position.

The only time I've seen damage done to irrigation systems was by an aerator, a roller, and once with a skidsteer. Normal size tractors, z's, and walkbehinds shouldn't cause any damage to them.
  4. If it sticks up then it is defective!!!

Add this to your contracts. "Not responsible for broken, impeoperly installed, or defective irragation systems or invisable/ radio fences.

If you have to keep pushing one down then it is defective. Fix it replace it or have it replaced.

Your mower can not damage them if they are installed properly. They are designed to be driven over with mowers.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

all my accounts have sprinklers. i run over them and it doesnt damage them. just make sure to not hit some that are stuck in the up position. sometimes if dirt gets in it, you just need to put your foot on the head to push it down.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If they are the heads that large and are designed to cover a large area, I would attempt to not run your tires on them. I have personally seen them break when ran over. If they do stick up, I would also not recommend using your foot to push them down, I have broke them trying to tap them down with my foot. Just my .02
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Watch that you do not run over them with the front caster wheel or you can scalpe the grass. If they are installed properly this can still be a problem. Warm season turf grows runner that grow over sprinklers heads. So they must be kept clean. I use a sprinkler head cutter on a weed eater. They cost $25 and wear out quick. So if this is a problem be sure to charge for it. Also keep some sprinkler heads on your truck because sooner or later you will hit one. Also try and keep cut off nipples because they break first.