1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenGrassEarnsCash, Jun 27, 2005.

1. GreenGrassEarnsCash

GreenGrassEarnsCash LawnSite Member

Hey what do you guys do if you show up at a property and the irrigation system is on? Do you come back later or not until the next week or what?
  2. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I skip it and leave a note saying to not have the sprinklers on at the specific time you are usually there, and then they reset the timer. Never had a problem by doing that.
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would go back. You don't want to wait another week if they are watering. It would be a huge mess if you wait. If they are watering I have gone back later in the day. If it is a garden hose with a sprinkler I turn it off and cut it then turn the water back on.
  4. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Rookies! Grab a can from your truck, throw over the heads, mow that area, move to next "zone" repeat. Then call client and let them know to leave irrigation off on their scheduled day as well as following day in case you get behind due to inclement weather or other unforseen circumstance.
  5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Sh@! never even thought of that. Great idea. Will try it next time.
  6. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

A lco was complaining about the sprinkler being on when he wanted to cut. It was his first house in the morning. So instead of mowing afternoon he chose to lose the job. I now mow it twice a week as the owner wants in the afternoon. I also maintain the mulch beds and wherever is is called for in the contract. Sometimes it pays to be flexable. By the way I have been doing his yard for 2 years now. No problems.
  7. Prot1

Prot1 LawnSite Member

I know most my properties well enough that i just open the valve box and manually shut them down. Then i make sure that i leave a note stating not to water the day of cutting. As someone else mentioned i have never had a problem after leaving the note.
  8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

A rookie is someone that is dim whitted enough to actually MOW a lawn that is soaking wet week after week or have a dozen "Cans" on their truck and the time needed to run around and cover up sprinkler heads.

Give me a break guys. LEave a note, send one in with your invoice, ring the doorbell. Whatever it takes to get the customer to understand that you are there the same time and day every week and that their sprinklers running on that day is a DETRIMENT to their lawn!!! It may not seem that wet, and yeah, you can mow it. But over weeks of doing that you WILL start to see ruts. I don't care if you are using 21"s or a 72" ZTR. they will all leave ruts eventually, usually in the path you have to travel around the perimeter of the property. Rain is unavoidable but for gawd's sakes do yourself and them a favor and MAKE them understand that they need to set their sprinklers to NOT run on the day you are to be there.

I have all but ONE customer trained and I have asked her and told her about 4 times a season for the last 6 years to change her controler. she says she has but she just dosn't get it and she refuses to allow me to do it for her. Now her lawn has deep ruts around the house from the mud that is her lawn allowing my mower to sink in...