1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Sprinter (Dodge or Freightliner) Chassis Cab

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by morturf, Jan 11, 2005.

1. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I had not seen this mentioned on here yet as far as a chassis cab. I find this to be a real deal for a lawn care or landscaper. They don't have huge payloads or towing weights but the 27mpg would sure be nice. The pricing is not too bad either. I also believe the turning radius is attractive. Look at both pages and give your thoughts on this truck.

http://www.carprices.com/research/make/dodge/2004_dodge_sprinter_chassis_cab.html

http://www.berryautos.com/images/sprinter/MVC-194S.JPG
    http://www.berryautos.com/images/sprinter/MVC-196S.JPG

Looks like a great bridge for those who think a cabover is too much and a p/u is not enough.

What do all u guys think?
    Mike

2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like it would be a good little truck. I think 27 mpg is wildly optimistic, though. From what I hear the Sprinter vans get around 22 and the cab and chassis about 18-20, which is still pretty good.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Dodge or Freightliner, it is actually made by Mercedes-Benz.

I am a big Mercedes fan. Just bought a new E320 CDI (diesel sedan). It has a similar engine (+ 1 cylinder) as the Sprinter. It has NASTY torque for a car.

Anyway, tried to find a Sprinter. We have a C5500 and a Fuso cabover, I wanted something smaller.

The dealers in my area are few and far between, and they were LOST. I mean, they had trouble grasping the basics like returning a phone call. I decided to stay away because if that's how interested they are in selling I can only imagine the enthusiasm level will really drop when you need warranty service. Plus, being a Mercedes I would be scared to own it out of warranty, since your talking an easy $6k for a transmission and $12K for an engine. Its a pretty light duty vehicle, even in the heaviest GVW.
    Brake for Mercedes will break your heart when you see the price tag.

Finally, there are not a whole lot of body options. If you want a landscape body someone is going to have to custom make it, adding to the cost.

Look into Mitsubishi-Fuso. Ours is a 2000 and it DRIVES LIKE A CAR!!! The 2005 is re-designed with a 5-spd auto and is supposed to drive even better. Yes it is heavier than the Sprinter, but that is not a bad thing.

4. mownlawns

mownlawns LawnSite Member

I have to agree and I have had some thoughts on this myself. I spoke with a cab-chassis owner who told me he has averaged about 24mpg. He had a conventional flatbed on it used to haul palletized material. He said that he loved the way it handled and drove. Might be a consideration for the price! I believe the Mercedes diesel is certainly mechanically and commercially proven. I agree though that an extended warranty would be an excellent purchase...Mercedes commercial parts are $$$$$.