1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spurge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rixtag, Aug 21, 2001.

1. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Ok, here it goes. Hi everybody!! Sorry, I almost forgot my manners. I have aproperty that has been overcome by spurge. My question is what is the problem with my turf that allows this stuff to start? It is only in one area, but it covers the whole area.

Thanks
    Rick

2. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Rix,

This will probably get moved to the pesticide forum but spurge takes advantage of thin turf and soil compaction, which is what probably thinned the turf in the first place. Any of your broadleaf weed controls will take it out fairly quickly but a heavy aeration followed by seeding should go along way to relieving the problem.

3. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

What the heck is spurge?

4. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

An unsightly low growing weed..... youll find it alot coming up in pavement cracks and so fourth..... sprays you in the face when you hitit with a weed wacker.

5. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

Can you apply the broadleaf herbicide in the extreme heat we are having? I assume you are refering to 2-4-D or you refering to something else?

6. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

william

Check your label but for the most part no you shouldnt apply broadleaf weeds when temps are above 85 degrees or when lawns are under drought stress. 2-4-d will control spurge but other options such as confront or i believe millenium will also

7. Allyn

Allyn LawnSite Member

A hard freeze will kill spurge. Delt with it for years. But you will need to seed or get the lawn healthy next year. It is like crab grass. When the temps are over 80 or so it starts to germinate. The best thing is to cut high, and if it is where you string trim. Don't scalp the edges. Each one of those leaves had alot of seeds. If the ground never gets hot the seed won't germinate.

Allyn

8. turf13

turf13 LawnSite Member

Thicken the turf,mow tall,and apply PRE-M in the spring .Spurge is a summer annual and will be controlled with PRE-M, in conjunction with solid cultural practices.

9. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

Thanks for all of your help.

Rick