sputtering exmark

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by robby, Jun 22, 2007.

1. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I'm running an exmark TT with the 17 hp kaw. Last week it started acting a bit funny, sputtering just a bit every once and awhile. Today I mowed 8 hours and it got progressively worse. I changed the fuel filter, no change. It only is sputtering though with the blades engaged. Engine ran without blades engaged, no problems. What might be the most likely cause? Spark plugs maybe? Ive not changed them in the 2 years I've had the mower. Air filter appears fairly clean. Any suggestions?

2. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

It's a good chance that the spark plugs are worn and not performing well while under a load. Since plugs are relatively cheap, changing them first would be my first route. I'd also check the plug wires for cracks and possible shorts. If the engine runs smooth at higher rpm's without the blades engaged, it's likely that the engine is getting enough fuel.

3. richard1103

richard1103 LawnSite Member

shortage in connector or safty switch engage blades and move wires till you find it .just went through it

4. Hushko

Hushko LawnSite Member

Robby: Did either of these two suggestions resolve the sputtering issue?

5. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

We had the same problem, We just used a jumper wire to connect the two wires till we get a new switch..