Lawn Care Forum banner

Spyker or Earthway?

21K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  gcbailey 
#1 ·
I've had an Earthway for 2 years and began having issues with it about 2 months ago. The cotter pin that holds the drive wheel on keeps snapping in half. I went to Lowes and got the same size thinking the original was just old and had rusted out. Well, 3 more cotter pins have snapped in half. Finally called Earthway 2 weeks ago and explained my issue. Nice guy said it sounds like a gearbox issue and he was sending me a new one at no charge. Very good service if you ask me.

Well here it is (yesterday 9/30) and still nothing. I asked what carrier he sent it or if he had a tracking # etc. He said he wasn't sure, he just got in the office etc. but he would make sure that I got it. Sounds to me he forgot to send it out or the person he delegated that to never did it. Either way I'm slightly annoyed but not too much because they are replacing it for free.

Just got to thinking that maybe I should just buy a new one and keep this for backup. I mean, Earthway seems to be good and them sending a new gearbox out (albeit very slowly) I'm inclined to stick with them. However, I was looking at Spyker and they appear to be well built, have a nice website, include a cover with the spreader unlike Earthway and maybe it's just me, but by looking at the schematics of the spreader in the manual, seem to be a little bit better built.

I'm just very used to Earthway and also there spreader setting chart is no nonsense. I was looking online at the Spyker spreader chart and it seems very hazy to me. Maybe I just need to be educated or helped along in understanding it. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Earthway out of familiarity with the spreader setting chart and kind of shying away from the Spyker for that reason only. That seems wrong to me. Anyone care to comment on the 2 as well as the setting chart.

I'm including a link to the models of each as well as the spreader chart so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, the Spyker is $352 cover included. The Earthway is $239 and cover is $25.50.

http://spyker.com/S40-5020-commercial-push-spreader.html

(page 11 in link below for chart)

http://spyker.com/graphics/products/specifications/manuals/40_Series.pdf

http://www.earthway.com/products/mobile-spreaders/c22hd-professional-50lb23kg-broadcast-spreader

(page 2 in link below for chart)

http://www.earthway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Broadcast-Setting-Charts-and-tip-sheet.pdf

See less See more
#28 ·
Around 2/3 of the non-LESCO products I use have both a letter and number setting listed for the LESCO spreader, and usually at a couple of different application rates. Those are good starting points but still need to be checked by all users.
True, you do see a lot of Lesco settings on lots of different types of bagged material. However, seems that Earthway chart is the easiest I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just most comfortable with it and that's keeping me from buying another brand.

That 100lb hopper model I looked at yesterday the Earthway 2017 was big. However, it would be nice to have more room if needed versus getting a 50lb hopper and needing more room at a property.

#29 ·
True, you do see a lot of Lesco settings on lots of different types of bagged material. However, seems that Earthway chart is the easiest I've ever seen. Maybe I'm just most comfortable with it and that's keeping me from buying another brand.

That 100lb hopper model I looked at yesterday the Earthway 2017 was big. However, it would be nice to have more room if needed versus getting a 50lb hopper and needing more room at a property.
I do know that Lebanon Turf has Earthway settings on their stuff.

What's your situation like as far as terrain goes? I know on my stuff 50# is MORE than enough at times.

#30 ·
I do know that Lebanon Turf has Earthway settings on their stuff.

What's your situation like as far as terrain goes? I know on my stuff 50# is MORE than enough at times.
Actually nothing too too big. Largest is about 12,000 sq ft so 50#'s usually does the trick. I have an 80lb Earhway now but always seem to be dumping product back in the bag when finished versus running out.

#32 ·
I was mainly talking about terrain as far as hills and slopes goes... The larger tires come in real handy there. But even if your largest is about 12k Sq ft that shouldn't be too bad.
Posted via Mobile Device
All of them vary. A few on big slopes, some flat.

I didn't know this would be so hard. To be honest, I don't feel like putting one of these together. I saw a video on youtube for the Earthway and most people comment oj the review section on Amazon it's at least an hours time to assemble.

If I get the 100lb hopper 2170 I don't have to fill it all the way up, if I need extra the space is there. It has the large wheels. Its not stainless would be the only real negative. I just don't want to spend 400-500 dollars.

#33 ·
All of them vary. A few on big slopes, some flat.

I didn't know this would be so hard. To be honest, I don't feel like putting one of these together. I saw a video on youtube for the Earthway and most people comment oj the review section on Amazon it's at least an hours time to assemble.

If I get the 100lb hopper 2170 I don't have to fill it all the way up, if I need extra the space is there. It has the large wheels. Its not stainless would be the only real negative. I just don't want to spend 400-500 dollars.
it took me about 40 minutes to assemble. A gear wrench and wrench, or ratchet and wrench really speeds it up.

I just got done putting out 80# on a very hilly yard. Let me say that I wouldn't want to put out more than 50# at once. I'm 6'3" and in pretty good shape an I was still huffing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.