Lawn Care Forum banner

Spyker or Earthway?

21K views 32 replies 6 participants last post by  gcbailey 
#1 ·
I've had an Earthway for 2 years and began having issues with it about 2 months ago. The cotter pin that holds the drive wheel on keeps snapping in half. I went to Lowes and got the same size thinking the original was just old and had rusted out. Well, 3 more cotter pins have snapped in half. Finally called Earthway 2 weeks ago and explained my issue. Nice guy said it sounds like a gearbox issue and he was sending me a new one at no charge. Very good service if you ask me.

Well here it is (yesterday 9/30) and still nothing. I asked what carrier he sent it or if he had a tracking # etc. He said he wasn't sure, he just got in the office etc. but he would make sure that I got it. Sounds to me he forgot to send it out or the person he delegated that to never did it. Either way I'm slightly annoyed but not too much because they are replacing it for free.

Just got to thinking that maybe I should just buy a new one and keep this for backup. I mean, Earthway seems to be good and them sending a new gearbox out (albeit very slowly) I'm inclined to stick with them. However, I was looking at Spyker and they appear to be well built, have a nice website, include a cover with the spreader unlike Earthway and maybe it's just me, but by looking at the schematics of the spreader in the manual, seem to be a little bit better built.

I'm just very used to Earthway and also there spreader setting chart is no nonsense. I was looking online at the Spyker spreader chart and it seems very hazy to me. Maybe I just need to be educated or helped along in understanding it. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the Earthway out of familiarity with the spreader setting chart and kind of shying away from the Spyker for that reason only. That seems wrong to me. Anyone care to comment on the 2 as well as the setting chart.

I'm including a link to the models of each as well as the spreader chart so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Also, the Spyker is $352 cover included. The Earthway is $239 and cover is $25.50.

http://spyker.com/S40-5020-commercial-push-spreader.html

(page 11 in link below for chart)

http://spyker.com/graphics/products/specifications/manuals/40_Series.pdf

http://www.earthway.com/products/mobile-spreaders/c22hd-professional-50lb23kg-broadcast-spreader

(page 2 in link below for chart)

http://www.earthway.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/2012-Broadcast-Setting-Charts-and-tip-sheet.pdf

See less See more
#3 ·
I just recently purchased an Earthway 2150. I know it's not the best, but for just starting out I think it's worth the money. I have looked at a Lesco and it's by far built a lot better than the Earthway, but like I said, for the money I like the Earthway.

I agree with you on Earthway's chart. It's definitely good for your initial settings, but if I've been doing my math right, it's always about 1/1.5 less open than what I've been applying.

#4 ·
I use cotter pins in all my spreaders also,
im sure the roll pins last a bit longer, but they can be a real bear to get
out. I bought a couple of cases of multi size cotter pins from harbor freight years ago and just keep it in the trailer.

trick is to use the largest size pin you can fit in the hole, if its sloppy at all it just prematurely wears and snaps

I end up replacing at least one every couple weeks, takes me all of about 60 seconds, im well trained lol

#5 ·
IMO Spyker makes the best spreader out there. I like their chart because it shows different sizes of granules and what setting to put it on for 1 lb - 6lb per 1000. Of course like it says, those are approx settings. U will need to calibrate it.
Lescos are good too.
Go with the Spyker, u won't be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 · (Edited)
I think the stainless steel Earthway has a better guarantee (5 years) and the no-grease wheel bearings are strong, with the bearing holder firmly welded to the frame. Spyker has the bearing holder not welded--but rather the tubing is just pounded flat and a plastic bushing to carry the axle is pressed in.

On worn spreaders the plastic wheel becomes slotted around the cotter pin on the drive wheel. It gets jerky when reversing. I thought everyone used a big nail instead of a cotter. Slide in; bend it.

Or if you decide to start over...I have a nice Scotts stainless steel commercial spreader, 80 pounds capacity. Retired--its for sale. Click my name and look at the pictures.

#7 ·
IMO Spyker makes the best spreader out there. I like their chart because it shows different sizes of granules and what setting to put it on for 1 lb - 6lb per 1000. Of course like it says, those are approx settings. U will need to calibrate it.
Lescos are good too.
Go with the Spyker, u won't be disappointed.
Posted via Mobile Device
True, and I guess you could always figure it out, but, what about if you need more than 6 per 1000 such as seed for a new lawn? Isn't it easier like on the Earthway chart to know that the 50lb bag you bought covers 5-15,000 you just look at the chart and adjust accordingly? That's what's frustrating me unless someone can help me out.

#8 ·
I think the stainless steel Earthway has a better guarantee (5 years) and the no-grease wheel bearings are strong, with the bearing holder firmly welded to the frame. Spyker has the bearing holder not welded--but rather the tubing is just pounded flat and a plastic bushing to carry the axle is pressed in.

On worn spreaders the plastic wheel becomes slotted around the cotter pin on the drive wheel. It gets jerky when reversing. I thought everyone used a big nail instead of a cotter. Slide in; bend it.

Or if you decide to start over...I have a nice Scotts stainless steel commercial spreader, 80 pounds capacity. Retired--its for sale. Click my name and look at the pictures.
Maybe a nail would work. The hole is tiny though...1/8 inch. Maybe a finising trim nail? I guess that might be harder than a cotter pin.

#9 ·
6#of seed is going to flow differently than 6# of fertilizer; just as different size fertilizers and different size seeds will not all flow at the same rate. Short answer for heavy seed application is go over it twice in different directions - something that is a good idea whether you are able to get enough down in one pass or not.

#10 ·
6#of seed is going to flow differently than 6# of fertilizer; just as different size fertilizers and different size seeds will not all flow at the same rate. Short answer for heavy seed application is go over it twice in different directions - something that is a good idea whether you are able to get enough down in one pass or not.
yeah that's true. So what type of spreader are you using?

#19 ·
I believe the one on Amazon that is $471 is the "Cadillac" version. The deflector is definitely nice. I purchased the add-on for my Earthway.

I upgraded from a Lowe's Scott's model with the plastic wheels. I couldn't believe how great the larger pneumatic wheels/tires are.

#20 ·
I have lost track of how long I have had this one. Bought it new 12-15 years ago. I do not use it daily by any stretch. Most of what I do is with a tractor mounted spreader. If I put one pallet a year through walk behind that's a lot. Get the best one you can afford and take care of it. If you are not sure which one you this is best, get a well madrone you like. Mine is 80# capacity fwiw.

#21 · (Edited)
Get stainless steel. The painted spreaders corrode from the effects of fertilizer. The abrasive action of the fertilizer is like a sandblaster down near the impeller. The paint is soon gone and then the fert rusts through the tubing. Average lifespan is about two years. At a minimum, if you have a painted steel model, cover any steel tubing within 6 inches of the impeller with about 6 layers of electrical tape.
Do you live in a humid area? LOL!

Actually the Scotts (now Andersen) is the Cadillac of spreaders--and priced to match. The patented helical cone is the best pattern adjustment system. Hopper is fiberglass; does not distort in the heat. Edge guard works well.

#22 ·
was at the local supplier picking up some materials yesterday afternoon. They have this model listed below and would sell to me for $220. I know it's $40 less on amazon but from what I've read, I'd be willing to pay 40 extra to have it already assembled. 100 pound hopper seems pretty excessive but to see this spreader in person and push it around it seemed solid to me.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2170...&qid=1380801266&sr=8-1&keywords=earthway+2170

#23 ·
was at the local supplier picking up some materials yesterday afternoon. They have this model listed below and would sell to me for $220. I know it's $40 less on amazon but from what I've read, I'd be willing to pay 40 extra to have it already assembled. 100 pound hopper seems pretty excessive but to see this spreader in person and push it around it seemed solid to me.

What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-2170...&qid=1380801266&sr=8-1&keywords=earthway+2170
that's basically the same as mine, but with a larger capacity.

As Riggle stated, eventually the painted metal will corrode. Stainless won't. I've treated 8 properties so far and have no complaints, but like I said, this one is a starter model for me just to see how everything will progress. I wash mine after each use and put a coat of fluid film on it.

#24 ·
that's basically the same as mine, but with a larger capacity.

As Riggle stated, eventually the painted metal will corrode. Stainless won't. I've treated 8 properties so far and have no complaints, but like I said, this one is a starter model for me just to see how everything will progress. I wash mine after each use and put a coat of fluid film on it.
Yeah I hear you. I just don't want to spend more than around $220 right now. The SS models of any maker are very expensive in relation to the amount I want to spend right now.

#25 ·
Don't forget about the weight situation. A bigger hopper means you are pushing more dead weight. And naturally you will seldom add more than 50 pounds. A bigger spreader takes up more room on the trailer or pickup. And when you lift it onto the pickup...its hard on your back. Drop by the dealer and put two unopened bags of fert in the hopper and push it around on some uphill grass. Now imagine lifting the spreader (which probably weighs 50 pounds) partially full of fertilizer, onto your truck and off about 16 times per day.

#26 ·
Don't forget about the weight situation. A bigger hopper means you are pushing more dead weight. And naturally you will seldom add more than 50 pounds. A bigger spreader takes up more room on the trailer or pickup. And when you lift it onto the pickup...its hard on your back. Drop by the dealer and put two unopened bags of fert in the hopper and push it around on some uphill grass. Now imagine lifting the spreader (which probably weighs 50 pounds) partially full of fertilizer, onto your truck and off about 16 times per day.
That's all very true. So maybe I should just order that 50lb earthway.....

http://www.amazon.com/Earthway-C22H...=UTF8&colid=EJYDESP9YZRY&coliid=ISXE6Y14CEA4L

I would just drive out to JDL and get the Lesco, but it seems finding any charts that are half way easy and reliable is hard. I hear you can buy Lesco only products and the setting is on the bag. However, I use several different suppliers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.