SQ footage for a softball field?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PGA, Nov 29, 2005.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

How the heck does someone go about measuring the outfield of a softball field?

I know how to do it on a sqare, rectangle, circle or just about anything else but what about an arc?

Im just doing the outfield as the infield and pitchers mound is all dirt.

Its just regular fesuce so Im going to use the same fert.program I use for my residential.

2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Treat it like a trapezoid. Basic Geometry. Your core manual will have samples of the area formulas.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

thanks roberts!

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I would measure the biggest square , rectangle for the sq ft .
    Then do the left over areas with a back pack or your big gig

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Check out the STMA website. The Sports Turf Managers Association is a great organization. Also try your local library. They will probably have books on the subject.

6. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

I can do a quick short-cut for softball or baseball fields.

Assume that the outfield is equidistant from homeplate (look at the outfield fence - many times the footage is posted - take a quick average of the three signs, left, center and right) and that the basepaths are at a 90 degree angle.

The field is a quarter circle. pi r squared to find the area of the circle, r = the distance from home to the outfield fence, then divide by four to find the area of the field. You can do a similar exercise to subtract out a skinned infield.

Example:

Left field is 340'
    Center field is 350'
    Right field is 360'

Average distance to outfield is 350' r = 350'

r squared - 350 x 350 = 122,500

122,500 x 3.14 = 384,650

384,650 / 4 = 96,162

Round down to 96M

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Is there a reason that you aren't treating it as a bent rectangle? Distance from 1st base turf line to right field fence, 2nd to center, 3rd to left, then average. Roll the width at the outer fence following the curve, the infield curve, fence to fence, average and multiple the two averages..will put you very close. Or you can treat it like the quarter circle that it is and make your figures that way based on the area, like outlined above, although that won't account for your infield. btw, most grass outfields for regualtion adult leagues fall in the 30-40 k, just so you know

8. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you need to know the area for a quote? I'm assuming so, but if not, the area of the field is not a concern. Do your calculations and set up your equipment ahead of time in a known area. Then treat the field without changing anything.

9. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Of course you need to know the area. How are you supposed to know how much or how little fertilizer you're going to need? It's not a big deal if you miss your guess by a bag or two for this one field, but if you have a bunch of them and are guessing then it'll really add up. Plus, distributors give price breaks based upon quantity purchased. If you know exactly how much you'll need well in advance (for the season, for example) you can get a much better price for your products.

10. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Just adding to this post....this will give you the area of the entire field.

If you just want the outfield, measure the distance from home plate to where the skinnned area ends behind each base. Then use the exact formulas above to compute the area if the infield/skinned area. When you have the area of the infield/skinned area, subtract it from the area of the entire field. This remainder will be the area of the outfield.