SQ FT Per Day

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mike48114, Oct 28, 2004.

1. mike48114

mike48114 LawnSite Member

Hi there. We are huge into mowing and plowing. Next spring we will be launching our first fert crew. The "crew" will consist of 1 guy and a ride on spreader. I know this is a vauge question but any help would be great! How many sq ft do you think this guy could do in a day?

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Sq ft, well not too sure but $$ is more important, I would expect one guy with a pg, to do at least 1200-1500 a day in res prodo. And do a really good job.

Or other way to look at it one guy should be able to do 400 res customers per round, or 160,000 to 190,000in yearly prodo.

3. mike48114

Thanks alot. That is a huge help in stearing me in the right direction. With that said...I'm working on next years budget, and for our new fert. devision I came up with $.002 / sq ft. As far as competators go, would that make me high, low, someware in between?

4. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

My old company expected each applicator to carry a route between 390 and 425 properties - 95% residential with a decent amount of travel time. Like James said, we had $ goals for each type of app....liquid being the exception @ 200 gal tank x 1.5 per 1000 spray rate = 133,000 s/f a day. How concentrated are your stops and what is the average size per lawn?

5. turner_landscaping

turner_landscaping LawnSite Member

I dont know what your overhead is or anything, but I am assuming that you are buying some new equipment for your fert guy. I guess you would have to take all this into consideration on your price. What I am getting at is that around my area I can charge 5-8 dollars a 1000 sq ft. So your price is low compared to my area but you can compare just price either.

6. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

.002 per sq ft = $2 per 1000 sq ft (if my math is correct?) that is very very low, to the point of it being not worth doing at all.

you could figure around 200,000sf per day with the ride-on which should give you around $1200-$1400 (so you can see at $2 per 1000sf you'd have to have somebody workin around the clock)

Product cost will average around 15-20%

7. mike48114

I see. Thanks alot for the input. I really appreciate it. Thats what this site is for to seek the expertese of others. If anyone has anything else I would be happy to know

8. James Cormier

from Ma

I would also be careful with just using sq ft for price.

Heres why, ya know that small strip of grass between a road and side walk? ( we call it boulevard grass ) well on some sites you may have that only 2feet wide by 100 feet so its only 200 sqft, but because your spreader will not be able to spread 2 feet ( more like 6 with side reflectors down ) your gonna use alot more material ( 6oo sqft worth )

So for res lawn care I recommend set price sheets, start at 3,000 sqft feet and go up every 500 or 1000 with set prices per app. I go up to 30,000 for my res, then commerical I usually price by the sqft but i watch for those hidden areas that will eat up profit.

9. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

What is your price for 3,000 sq ft? Our min. is $29.95 which is were we start at for 3,000 sq ft. Like you mentioned James, we do our pricing in increments of 500 sq ft. aswell. It has really worked well for us. That extra 500 sq ft makes up for the curb strips or the area between a fence and a house where there might be 3 - 4 f ft.

Just curious what everbody's starting price is for 3,000 sq ft.

Archie

10. James Cormier

from Ma

Ours starts at 3k as well, but we are $45 per app for 5 apps