Sqeaking EZ-Striper

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Esby, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I bought my EZ-Striper just a bit ago.....its been great. I love the fact that it lays down such nice stripes and more over that it acts like a giant "anti scalping" roller. But anyways....to cut to the chase, I have had it on my Lazer Z HP 52" for just about 60 hours and there is a sqeaking noise that has started to come from the bearings. This has just started in the last 10 hours. They are the sealed bearings, I think you might remember me asking you guys on how I was supposed to grease them, but I guess I didn't have to. But now the sqeak....is this bad?...I just don't see how it could be good. Are the bearings rubbing? It sounds like a metal on metal rub. Thanks for any support.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Esby,

It's hard to say but it could be a bad bearing. Failed bearings in such a short time frame is rare these days to say the least but it is possible. If it's a bearing it could actually be a couple of things. It could be a spindle bearing or and idler bearing. It could be something completely different as well. First thing to do is take it to your dealer and get it looked at ASAP. The last thing you want to do is have it go down during a job.

One thing is for certain with the work out these machines get if something isn't right it will usually show up in the first 10 - 20 hours of use.

Let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Terry

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Esby,

My apologizes. I mis-read your post and was looking for an answer to the wrong question.

Got some new information for you. I got a call from the inventor of the EZ striper and he had this same issue on one of his early models.

The bearing is not failing. There is a locking collar on the roller shaft that is rubbing against the housing or mounting bracket. All you need to do is loosen the allen bolt and slide the locking collar away from mounting bracket. Re-tighten the allen bolt and your done.

Hey for those of you who know Rick (inventor) tell him thanks from Exmark.

Thanks

Terry