Square Feet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TnT, Mar 24, 2001.

1. TnT

TnT LawnSite Member

When measuring square footage at apartment's and condo's do you include: sidewalks, parking lots, housing in the total square footage of the bid? Or do you subtract the footage in your bids?

Thanks,

TnT

2. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Generally, I would only have a Sq Ft number on Turf only, for mowing and lawn apps. I have taken lineal footage of walks and curbs for edging purposes. If doing snow removal or some sort of street sweeping, Sq Ft of parking and drives would be nice to have, sidewalks might even be needed as well.

I have measured buildings and fences to get a lineal footage for applying roundup to cut back on trimmimg. I have counted the trees even if they did not have tree rings, so I could know a amount for mulching and edging. Measuring all the beds for weed apps, mulch, etc... comes in handy down the road even if not asked for bid on them for any service.

It mainly depends on how much you want for a Bio file on the account and how much time you have to do it. If you had the time, all those numbers at your finger tips can be a great time saver down the road, or eevn at the intial visit, when you try to up sell or the customer asks about a added service.

3. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

Good answer Skookum. I'll second that.

4. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

I agree w/ skook... If you have the time figure out everything on one visit to the property. This will allow you to have all the info when a customer asks you over the phone about mulching, aerating, fert etc...

Even for our customers who just want cutting, I always measure out for everything because then the I can sell them more services. like saying it's only $50 per application for our 5 step fertilization program, which will help your lawn tremendously.. Throwing in little digs now and then will get them thinking about it..