Square Feet

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by exmark user, Jan 22, 2011.

1. exmark user

exmark user LawnSite Senior Member

Can someone post of a picture of a lawn and tell me the square feet of it so I can get an of square feet size.:dizzy:

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Until you get good at estimating by eyeball buy a good measuring wheel and tape measure.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

zillow.com is your friend.:)

4. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Get a measuring wheel, measure your own yard. You know how long it takes to mow your yard and you should be able to figure from that.
    It really takes practice. When I started I was all worried about bidding yards and square footage. Now I'm pretty good at eyeballing yards and know what my competitors will probably charge for each yard as well.

5. exmark user

I always charge by minute and Im applying fertilizer and people they charge say 50 for xxxx square feet and im just trying to see what sq feet looks like.

6. Daniel's Lawn Care

Daniel's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Don't try to eyeball it. You can get yourself in trouble that way, at least I did. Go to Lowes and spend $50 or $60 on a large measuring wheel, you will never regret the investment. Run the wheel across the front and down one side of the lawn, multiply the two numbers, and round to the nearest 1,000 square feet. You want to get a large wheel because it makes it easier going over rough terrain and roots.

7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

Like was said, get a measure wheel and tape measure and check your own lawn.

8. Freedom Lawn Service

Freedom Lawn Service LawnSite Member

goIlawn.com - worth every penny! Use promo EXPO! I think you get 4 free with it.

9. exmark user

I'm doing this myself just applying some fertilizer on some zyosia and fescue mix , going to put some 15 15 15 on it and lime it to neutralize it Monday.

I'll take some pics LOL!

10. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Seriously? You want people on here to tell you the square footage of your lawn by looking at a picture?

Forget all the high tech satellite devices, just do what 80% of the other people said and buy a measuring wheel. It's not rocket science, just simple geometry. Length times width. Measure each lawn space seperately and break up odd shaped areas into squares and rectangles. Takes maybe 10 minutes max to measure out a normal lawn. You can be pretty exact this way, leaving out sidewalks, driveways, pool areas, etc.