Square Foot Guesstimating

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gunputt, Dec 6, 2001.

1. gunputt

gunputt LawnSite Member

When it comes to figuring out square footage for square and rectangular things, like bathrooms and kitchens, it's easy,but how are you supposed to do it when things are not square. LIKE YARDS!! Do you just make a bunch of tiny boxes or what?

If this is the dumbest question ever I appologize, but help me out anyway.

Thanks, John :confused:
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

You still measure both ways.
    Then multiply.
    Then adjust as needed.

Oval 70x90 = 6,300 (If it were rectangular)
    Now figure a oval only takes about 75% of that (or so)
    What's that 4,725? Close enough, for our business.

I know you can figure it geometrically, but we don't.

Any odd shape you can measure, multiply and adjust and get close enough with some common sense.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Rectangles and triangles usualy do it. Triangle 1/2 x base x height. Trapezoid height x (base bot +base top)/2 < average of sides. Oh don't bother telling the customer the squares because he already knows and he is wrong. Its your price that should matter to him, not your measurments. I have noticed TGCL lawns are always bigger than they measure them. Probably some marketing guy figured that when we proudly announce the cust. sqr. footage we would appear incorect or trying to cheat them. Since TG already told them there squares. Remember there a marketing Co. not a lawn care Co. Happy measuring. Do a couple hundred it gets easy.
  4. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Break the site down into smaller geometric shapes that have formulas for area like triangles and circles. Don't get too crazy with it so much as be knowledgable and proficient doing it.

I don't deduct for sidewalks, small beds in the lawn etc. Pretty much if the spreader is going to throw there during the application you shouldn't deduct the area. Then if you properly calibrate and use your spreader your material consumption will match area serviced and results will be predictable.

Grounds Maintenance magazine had a page in Feb 1988 on measuring. Maybe we could get them to post it here. I have a copy but it would need to be scanned and I'm not sure how it would come out as my copy is not pristine.