Square Foot Pricing on retaining walls

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth LawnSite Senior Member

I've searched lots of threads on the subject of estimating based on square feet and I can see the arguement for why its not a good pricing method. I personally don't use this pricing method, but I was wondering if any of you guys have come up with an average at the end of the season on what you are installing walls for. I use mostly Allan Block Senior. It would be nice to get a comparison of averages.

2. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

A million.

3. pitrack

pitrack LawnSite Bronze Member

There's always gotta be that guy.

4. Gr8WhiteNorth

Always!!!!!!

5. scagrider22

scagrider22 LawnSite Bronze Member

If your using the AB classic 8"x12"x18" on a large job with a strait wall $18 per block should be competitive depending on how much you pay for them, I pay around $5 per block and each block face is a square foot, but every job has different variables smaller walls you may have to charge more but on a large commercial job $18 a block has worked for me but sometimes I charge more.

6. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

That average would certainly be quite the average. So we'd be averaging prices off of two foot tall walls to thirty foot tall walls, correct? Who would even care what that average is?!

I'd be able to understand, however, if you were curious about the average cost of a face foot; this would more or less take the size of the wall out of account.

In so many words - get your s*** straight before you go asking generalized questions. And you said it best yourself: "I can see the arguement for why its not a good pricing method."

So MY question to YOU is - Why even ask?!

7. scagrider22

That pricing would only work on that block if the wall is on flat ground and strait, every different type or brand of block would be a different price the question you asked is to general there is way to many variables in every job.

8. Gr8WhiteNorth

An average is still an average.
    This data will have a higher standard deviation caused by factors like wall height (base course proportion to total sq.ft.), straight wall vs. stepped vs. curved, geotextile, drainage, engineering, etc.

Would make sense to post a wall design and have everybody price it?

9. Gr8WhiteNorth

Just wondering if your commercial jobs require internal drain system with weeping tile, drain rock, geotextile? What about geogrid?

How do you excavate? mini-excavator?

10. scagrider22