square foot question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forrpets, Jun 8, 2004.

1. forrpets

forrpets LawnSite Member

HI,
    I am wondering what I should charge to mow a 29,835 sq. ft. field. I need a brush hog but do not have one. I am using a lawn tractor with a 46 inch deck. The grass and weeds are at least 1 foot tall and the ground is very bumpy. It took me 2 passes to cut it. 1st pass about 2 hours because of moving rocks and debris and length of grass. The second pass took about 1.5 hours. This time includes getting off of tractor to scrape clippings out of deck. I cant believe how fast and the amount of grass clippings that builds up under the deck. I was charging by the hour at $45/hr. So I made about $157.50. What do you all think.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

sounds like a fair price for using that type of equipment.

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think you could have subbed it out to someone who has the appropriate equipment to mow it and used the 3.5 hours to mow other lawns there by increasing your net profit so you can buy some commercial equipment faster.

4. forrpets

forrpets LawnSite Member

that was a though of mine but it is a small town. This account has several different areas like this that I am finally done with the tall part. Now I will be cutting them all summer at regular length. Had I subbed it out then that person may have gotten this account. Still a good thought and still an option though and thanks.

5. Firstclasslawn

Firstclasslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Charge $200 at least----------------I do and have no problem with people paying it