Square footage question!

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GSO LAWNEN4CER, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

For those of us in more rural areas all of those would be small lawns.

2. wz2p7j

wz2p7j LawnSite Member

For us a small lawn is about 10 acres and a large lawn is about 70-125 acres, but it's kinda what we specialize in.

Chris

3. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member

Goodness, a small yard = 10 acres? So how do you make a living a that? Large crew, or self op? It seems you would have to charge a huge amount for that. In my case, I'm like the taxi driver, the $ are in "moving and scooting". Having several yards in close proximity and trying to do 2-3 yards an hour.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I believe that defies the definition of "lawn"

5. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

Its that the whole reason for starting a business?

6. GSO LAWNEN4CER

GSO LAWNEN4CER LawnSite Member
    from GSO NC

I kno right! You can eyeball some stuff,but if your not pricing by the sq/ft then your leaving money on the table.If you know what your mower can do in productivity.Your losing money if not pricing by the sq/ft.

7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

So you would go around with a magic wheel and measure 17 acres to get the exact Sq. footage? 1/2 acre or less this might work, anything larger than that and you're wasting time getting exact dimensions IMHO.

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Still better be within 10% or else your cost could kill you or your bids will be so far off the mark you never get the work.

9. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

We are usually on par with other companies bidding properties. I have seen guys with a wheel marking off parking lots for plowing. I understand they are trying to dial in on the size of the property but how much time is spent trying to get exact measurements? Before I send in a survey crew to measure properties I'll take my chances with the systems we have in place.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

You made it sound like you pulled numbers out of your hat. Now you have a system. Frankly, I do not own wheel either...