Squarefootage

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Ramone, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Ramone

Ramone LawnSite Member

How much to charge per 1000 sq. ft for fertilizing

2. NELawnCare

NELawnCare LawnSite Member

Do you have a license to spread? Most states require a license/certification to drop fertilizer or any type of weed/bug control material.

If you do, think of your time and materials. How long will it take you to drop fert on 1000 SF? How much are the materials. Are you purchasing and picking up the materials?

Your Time Per 1000 SF + Materials + Materials Pickup/Travel + 15% on Materials=Cost.

My best guess is (Time) $15 + (Materials) $25 + (10 Miles Pickup @ .38/Mile) 3.80 + (15% on Materials) $3.75 = $47.55 per 1,000 SF.

Hope you know what you're doing cuz chem treatments raise your liability.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

EVERYbody wants to jump on the bandwagon....
    It is possible to fertilize without a license, if you are using straight fert.. However, then you are just feeding all the weeds and such, too. If you can't do pest control, your hands are pretty much tied. Foremost, I don't recommend it unless all the in and outs are known, including the knowledge and ability to diagnose conditions that are directly related to this aspect of the industry. Everything has a starting point.

4. NELawnCare

I wasn't "jumping on the bandwagon". You're correct in that fertilizer-only applications do not require a pesticide certification and licensing in most states. However, keep in mind that most store-bought fertilizers, particularly in a lawn care setting, contain not only standard fertilizer but also contain a pesticide component (e.g., herbicide, insecticide, fungicide). These products are commonly known as "weed and feed". If application of these types of products is a service that you will be providing, then certification and licensing as a pesticide applicator, and licensing as a business is required. Most folks entering into the fertilizing service aren't necessarily experienced at knowing the components of the store-bought products.

I wasn't "jumping on the bandwagon". I was answering a question and attempting to keep my answer simple. Glad we have experts here like yourself to help us understand. :rolleyes:

Maybe with your expertise you could answer his original question regarding pricing. :wink:

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

LOL. I wasn't referring to you....I mean all the guys wanting to jump in to the fert. and chem. end of it...:)
    Also, that is a very good point that you bring up that the vast majority of the products sold retail in these homeowner programs (Scotts, sta-green, vigaro, etc.) DO contain pesticides for the majority of their applications. Very few of them are just straight fert.. As soon as they're done with the 'weed n feed", they do one more ap., and then it's right on to the "grub-ex", which is totally unnecessary the majority of the time. This is not to mention all the people who will be spreading "grub-ex" within the next few months because of the grubs they see now left over from last year. Then of course, there is the all important "insect control". Lord knows, we can't have bug one in the lawn. They might eat another bug. After that, we are already for some more "weed n feed".
    I know exactly what you are saying....:)

6. NELawnCare

My apologies for jumping to conclusions. *trucewhiteflag*

7. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I charge a minimum of $40 for fert application, no matter the size of the lawn because of all the time that goes into getting to each place. I start with the $40 base fee and then add on the fertilizer cost marked up of course. App 1 Fert and Preemergent for crabgrass. App. 2-4 include fert and spot spraying of weeds int he lawn. App 5 is just a winterizer. So for the whole season (5 applications) a lawn that small would be about $200-250. However keep in mind that a 3,000 sq. ft. lawn might only be an extra $25 above and beyond the 1,000 sq. ft. lawn because the cost is getting to the property it is not much in the materials.

8. ccash

ccash Banned

it sucks around here when tgcl is base is 33.00 and weedman is 35.00. but after about six months with them the people will generally pay more for a quality company. Of course sometimes the homeowners are so disinfranchised with lawn service they do it themselves.