Squash bugs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Dec 23, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Alright guys, talking to a friend who wants to control them organically, what suggestions do you have? The things ate up their graden last year, any suggestions?

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Neem oil. Handpicking. Bt and/or wasps.

Depending on how much of a purist they are - there is a line of products in the garden shops that claim to be organic or natural or something. I forget the brand name.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't plant squash????:rolleyes:
    They obviously do not have a predator to keep them in check, I would do a little research to see who their natural predator is.

You could use oils to spray ON THEM, but if you are not around for a few days they may take hold while you are not around

They like the food source that is there if they are big numbers, obviously

Often with an infestation you have to break the life cycle. Chinch bugs for instance have a 3 to 4 week life cycle, if you can spray oils every week for 4 to 5 weeks you can normally break the life cycle. basically no adults to lay eggs, no eggs no pests. I don't know the life cycle of squash bugs

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Squash them :laugh:

5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Safer insecticidal soap and diatomaceous earth.

6. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Samllaxe,
    Wasps might be a rout to take, any suggestions to encourage populations? Also, What's Bt?

Bill,
    Darn IPM just sakes so much effort. :) I totally agree, and will read up on their life cycle this winter.

Kiril,
    Lol

44DCNF,
    Any suggestions on the soap? Will DE really affect them? I understand it cuts them to death? Not sure?

EVERYONE, THANKS for the responses! :)

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Bacillus therungensis, is a fungi that enters the gut of the grub and eats it from the inside out, kind of. It makes biomass out of grubs
    The only issue is getting the BT numbers up in the soil so that the grub will come in contact with it, no contact no kill. for effective control you have to apply a couple times a year for a couple years. It is inherent in our Instant Compost Tea, Kurstaki and Isrealisnis strains

8. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done weekly soil drenches with Bti and eliminated fungus gnats (born in the soil) in 3-4 weeks (indoors). I don't know if squash bugs are affected by it as adults, and they are hatched on the plant. If you don't mind reading from a site that sells some DE but happens to have some good information on different pests, here is some info on the squash bugs lifecycle and some other control measures, like row covers, and trapping and removal.

The insecticidal soap, you would spray the plants to wet them, focusing on undersides of leaves to get the eggs. I haven't dealt with squash bugs in particular, but had success with it on several other similar pests. I would target eggs and newly hatched bugs with the soap, dust DE for the larvae, and trap and collect adults, which can then be dunked in the soap mix to kill.
    Try those and I am sure he will be pleased with the results.

9. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

ATTRA is a good source for natural solutions.

http://attra.ncat.org/attra-pub/squash_pest.html

10. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

....................:confused: