1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Squash his dreams

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by shovelracer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

So I have an employee that told the rest of the guys that he was going to quit without notice and claim he got hurt on the job. Reason being that he wanted to collect and run his shady lawn care service. I will probably fire him anyways cause we've been having a few issues. How do I go about squashing this kids hope and dreams. I have no problem with people going out on their own, but this kid fully intends to do it the wrong way and try to take advantage of us in the process. I want this guy back living back in his truck behind the walmart where he belongs.
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Make him quit. Put him in "picking up dog poop" department:laugh: Fire him and he can get unemployment?
  3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We once put a smarty like him on 'post pounding duty' cuz he knew we had 250 trees to be delivered on a particular day and purposely and conveniently didn't show up to work that day. The next day he asks me if we got all the trees in, and he had a relieved look on his face when I told him we did. I wish I had a camara when I handed him the post pounder just after we got to the site....the look on his face was priceless.
  4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

If he's gonna play the workers comp game, i'd fire his ass before he has the chance to make a claim. If he does make a claim,either unemployment or comp, i'd be tailing him w/a camara to catch him working and turn him in. He would have to pay back any money he received plus a fine.
  5. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would write up a paper that stated all employees must report all injuries before the end of the day they happen and have all employees sign it. Make sure your workmans comp. is up to date and don't worry about it. Being the injury police is more work than it is worth. If an employee were to really be hurt and you stand in the way it could cause you some un-needed problems. CYA
  6. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow be careful,be i think it will be cheaper to get gid of him now if you know for sure he is planning to get hurtat your expense!
  7. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Tell him your gonna work nights,his shift stars at 2 AM, oh yea and your pay went down.
  8. IMAGE

IMAGE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

have your other employees sign a statement right now saying what they heard. Then take that to the unemployment office and ask them if you fire the guy because he is planning to fake an injury, if you could deny his unemployment. I think you have a valid reason for firing him and denying unemployment.

For now, until you can fire him, I would tell him that you dont need his help for a couple days. Tell him to take the week off and you will call him next week.
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Hes looking to get the final surgery that he needs for a back injury he got at another job 5 years ago. He ignorantly accepted their buy out way back when and is regretting it today. Granted this is all hearsay to me, but he doesnt realize that his confidant has been a good employee of mine for a few years and we look out for each other. Im sure his thoughts are that he can make more money cutting his own lawns with his beat up WB in the back of his ranger. I knew hiring a moonlighter was going to be a problem. The grass is always greener.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Just let him dig his own grave, what I would do, stand back and watch, might be worth a great laugh but at least a chuckle.

He ain't gonna get far doing it all wrong, way that crap comes back around it should mess him up on its own, now we know this.