Squeaky Brakes

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by STIHL GUY, Jun 17, 2008.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

The brakes on my bobcat make a high pitch squeak when i apply them. I greased every possible grease piont on the mower. Is there anything i can do to stop the mower from making this noise? Thanks
  2. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

I'll assume this is a transmission/gear drive WB ? check the springs to the tension pulleys that hold the belts down to the drive wheels to see if they are rubbing against the drive pulleys coming off the jack shafts on the trans.
    ericg likes this.
  4. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

The pads could just be worn out making steel-on-steel noises or if the brakes are caliper/disc style the sliding surface for the pad may be dry.

You can disengage the brakes and lubricate the sliding surface with copper paste. Inspect the pads while you're at it.
  5. jbird7

jbird7 LawnSite Member

I had the same thing happen but it wasn't on my own Bobcat. Honestly I don't know what it is. I even had the same problem on my Ford pickup too before it got totaled. I'd replace and lubricate everything and nothing works. I finally just quit caring and that might be what you want to do here if you've tried it all. Sometimes these things just aren't worth the effort to fix. I mean you figure you spend a few hours troubleshooting something like that? Not worth it in my book.