squeeze a 36" wb through a less than 36" gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Jan 23, 2005.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Does anyone man-handle their 36" wb into smaller gates???? Can this be done?? Is it practical??

where I'm mowing I have an excessive amount of gated backyards.....some of the ones Ive measured are exactly 35". I just purchased a 52 ztr and now am looking at what I can get in these back gates.... Obviously Ive considered the 32" wbs. Only problem with these are that they are all belt drive or single hydro except for wrights velke mower. Would prefer to buy a 36" floating deck wb...

Am I better off with a 32" or can I get a 36" through a 35" gate? specifically Exmarks 36" turf tracer hp floating deck.

2. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Ran into the same thing with residential back yards and solved it with a exmark metro 32" belt drive w/sulky. Gets in the tight spots and with mulch kit have been very happy. Last year was very wet and only had to double cut a few times. Wish deck height changed easier but you can't have it all. Have noticed I tend to use it much more than I anticipated. Cuts great and looks stripped. I think the jungle wheels give the stripped look. I ran it hard last year and only changed oil and sharpened the blades and lubed the darn thing. I have one pre-school with very small back gate and it's only 30" opening. Don't even think about trying to man-handle a professional mower by yourself. Liked to broke my back trying. Ended up installing new gate and that was at customer expense. Note: Always measure gate openings when you first view property. Unless it's 8' wide I measure.
    tfilbert

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

sometimes going in backwards helps. if you have alot of gates, do the right thing, get a 32"

4. Bshift Mowers

Bshift Mowers LawnSite Member

I have a 36 and a 32 my guys and I have learned how to put the 36 in the same gate as the 32, It takes some practice but you can actually go in at an angle, placing the left front tire through first and let the mower ride against the gate post when the rear tire gets 1/2 way through pick the rear of the mower up just slightly forcing it to the right and the right rear tire will float through the gate with little problem, you do have to man handle the mower a little but after you have done it a few times it gets easier coming out you just reverse the process. We only have to face that problem when we split our crews into three's as I only have one 32" and four 21" so for some of my properties the 36" goes to the back yard. I do have some customers that let me shave some of the picket off of the fence in order for my mower to fit but you cant do that with chain link. Good luck

5. MImowerkid

MImowerkid LawnSite Member

is it possable to tip the mower a little to get through?

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You Can't Really Sneak a 36" Tracerhp Through a 35" Gate...If the Gates are that small use 21"'s...32" Belts are a Total Waste of Money.

7. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Why put the cart before the horse??? ;)