1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Squirrel Attack!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Gene $immons, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

One of my customers called to see if we could come out and remove some vines which are growing up the trunk of his large Oak tree. I went over there and started pulling out the vines when all of a sudden something got my pinky finger. I didn't see what it was, but it startled the heck out of me. My finger had a small cut, I dismissed it as the curved saw that I was holding in my right hand must have sliced my left hand pinky finger.

So, I start cutting again and this squirrel pops his head out of a "nest" and freaked me out. There was at least three of them, and a baby, and boy were they mad, they looked like they wanted to jump on my face.

So now I'm wondering if I have rabbies.

2. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

better talk to a doc, they can carry rabies.
    Kinda sounds like a scene from caddy shack lol
  3. ExclusiveLawnCare

ExclusiveLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

lol, not good man, I would go get that checked out by a Doc. and yes you are so lucky they didn't jump all over your face or neck. So thats good.
  4. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

I am an animal control officer and we see this all the time. Although all mammals can carry rabies, they need to be rabid before they can give you rabies. Squirrels woun't live long enough with the disease to become rabid so we don't even test them after they bite a person. the only rodent we test is a wood chuck.
  5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Man, you must be nuts :rolleyes: for sticking your hands into stuff like that without investigating what you are removing. So.. what happened to the nest?
  6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about this the other day. I have never seen a baby squirrel before.
  7. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

"You must be nuts" why else would a sqirrel try to eat you? har d har har.
  8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

do rats live long enough to carry it ?

man id love to have seen your face...:laugh: :laugh:
  9. SchultzLawnCare

SchultzLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

cady shack, brings back some good memories
  10. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

A girl I knew found one many years back. She kept it like a baby, fed it from a dropper and all that but it died after a week or so. Kinda sad. Real cute; it could climb all over your head and it was light as air... it used to sleep inside her collar around the back of her neck.