1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Squirrel damage

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Feb 10, 2008.

1. I've told Hunter/Irritrol/Wmtic they need to convert to metal caps but they claim I'm the only one who says squirrel damage is a problem. Am I alone?

sq 1.jpg

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

wow never seen that, I have had dogs do a lot of damage to popups, and I've had squirrels oddly enough chew up cast aluminum flood light too... not sure what they're thinking sometimes.
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've seen one on a fence post become a solarium for ant pupae. Metal construction wouldn't prevent that.
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

You sure that is not rat damage?
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Out of work contractors?
  6. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I've had it happen as well to the original Mini-Clik. Twice they chewed it up. We eventually put that wireless one in, and moved to a different location.
  7. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Never seen it before, had mice chow wires plenty of times.
  8. Mr. Bow Raker

Mr. Bow Raker LawnSite Member

A squirrel is a tree rat.:) I've seen plenty of damage to the tops of 1800 series heads when the collar of the head is above mulch height. Usually only the low end drainage heads. Varmints love an easy water source.
  9. We refer to squirrels as rats with good P.R.. They chew the heads here as well. Not sure why they chew the sensor tops unless they are keeping their teeth sharp or want the wafers inside.
  10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Catholic rats?;)