1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Squirrels and chipmunks get high on risky stunts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric D, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Yesterday while cutting, I had a chipmunk run out in front of the mower. Sad to say he didn’t make it. I’ve noticed while driving on many occasions squirrels or chipmunks darting at the very last moment in front of my truck. Do you think they enjoy the thrill of a close call with death? I’ve wondered if they get an adrenalin rush from their risky maneuvers.
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that they have any idea....Kinda like the deer jumping out int he street in front of a car. They don't perceive the danger as a human would. One has to assume that they don't have the ability to "reason" and calculate the danger...

If thats the case then my dog would get "high" when he poops in the house, and thats about as dangerous as it gets....especially when I get home....
  3. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

I had a chipmonk on my back porch yesterday, a baby one and i just held the door open for him and he just hopped right by with out a care.
  4. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I've had squirrels play with the dog before. Two of them on seperate occasions running from tree to tree, and staying just out of reach for a couple hours at a time. One of them got turned around jumping between trees and took a leap out of the top of a 45-50ft horse chestnut straight to the ground. There were two dogwoods on either side but he jumped out into open air. One of the weirder things I've ever seen. He hit the grass with all four legs spread out, got up, and kept running. The dog got him the next day, though.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

the chipmunks drive my cats crazy. they play outside the sliding glass door while cats sit inside. I'm positive they know what they are doing....
  6. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Fall is here!! These animals are VERY active right now getting ready for winter - NOT that I am an expert ...................;) ;) ;)
  7. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

I finally had to set up an stunt/obstacle course of sorts in my shed this year just for the pleasure of the chipmunks that are burrowing around my foundation. A series of rat traps loaded with sunflower seed butter. While the little varmints may be getting an adrenalin rush attempting to snatch the sunflower butter, the score is in favor of the traps (8-0).
  8. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe they're just ignorant..... I saw a video a month or so ago of a moose running down the railroad tracks. The video was being taken from the train, up front.
    Too stupid to turn, and too slow to outrun a train.:hammerhead:
  9. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

It's funny you mention about the number of chipmunks. For some reason we have more around our home then the past ten years all put together. I found some nice little green pellots they like to eat. It ends up being their last meal. I just place a few down the holes they bore around the property.
    My dog managed to catch a few as well.
  10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

If thats the case then my dog would get "high" when he poops in the house, and thats about as dangerous as it gets....especially when I get home....[/QUOTE]

i laughed so hard when i read this i may have pooped myself