1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Squirrels are digging up the flower beds!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Jun 16, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

Other than shooting and trapping them how do you deter them? I've read spices work but have to be reapplied after it rains. I've got a sprinkler system that gets the flower beds so this may not be the best option. Any suggestions?
  2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Try loud objects (like pie pans) and hang them on certain places in the garden. Then again, this is kind of an eyesore if the garden is in a very visible location. I have really had very little sucess with any method. My advice: Invest in a pellet rifle :laugh:
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Try The Scarecrow scatmat.com.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

They are probably going after maple drupes or some other seed. These occurrences are usually brief. If you can't stand it try Miller's Hot-sauce. Squirrels hate the stuff.
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We feed our squirrels. Two reasons: 1) they are very fun to watch, 2) they were here first. I live in a wooded area just north of the metro, with lots of natural wildlife (hawks, eagles, racoons, deer, turkeys, oppossums, many varieties of songbirds, etc, etc.). 500 feet from my home = a new 125 acre "development" where they bulldozed/clearcut all remaining natural beauty (trees & hills). 125 acres destroyed now + half-acre lots go for $60,000 each. Now these homeowners are complaining about wildlife???
  6. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

welcome to america!
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest