Squirt pricing and 1,000 sq. ft. amounts

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hermanator, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Hermanator

Hermanator LawnSite Member

Need some help guys, if you could. thanx

We have 98% bermuda lawns. mowing season runs march thru end of october. were wanting to get into the fert and squirt end of it also, so in need of the following or what ever else you can help with.

1. I assume you have a minimum or stop charge and that covers a certain amount of grass already. once that is met, what do you charge for each additional 1,000 sq. ft of turf?

what different types of squirt is best and what amount per 1,000 sq. ft. for post and pre emergence's?

3. how much do you charge per 1,000 sq. ft?

4. what does it cost per 1,000 sq. ft. for the product?

5. when do you apply the pre-emergence? 1, 2, 3 times a year or?

6. How about post? I know round up will be before the bermuda starts growing, but what about once the bermuda is actually growing already?
  2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i'm not trying to be a d#ck, but i will be. it sounds like you need go through these archives at least, and probably go to the local library for a few more books. you have a little bit of reading ahead of you. it's not that easy to just "fert and squirt". it isn't like mowing. you will be doing troubleshooting alot, and suddenly, unlike mowing, you are the reason their lawn is brown according to them. mowing, you mess up, and it grows back in a week. fertilization/weed control you mess up and you lose a customer, produce bad word of mouth advertising, ruin a lawn, and probably lose money.

don't get me wrong i'm not a veteran like most of these guys, but i have read tons and tons....tons of information to get where i am at. and i'm not even close to most of the guys on here or my competitors YET. there is a lot more to learn than you would think, and you will soon find that out.

now, as for your questions i will give you my opinions, but i deal with a totally different type of grass (cool season compared to warm season). i charge around $39.00 minimum for 5,000 square foot yard or less. then about $6 per K after. type of "squirts"? you should go to a local lesco and get their advice, then read the labels for how much to apply. premergence is put down either once or twice a year depending on the company. i don't know what you are putting round up on, but i hope you realize that bermuda aint going to be growing at all if you apply any of that. stick to lesco 3-way or speedzone, momentum...unless you plan on reseeding.

hope that helps somewhat. there is tons of information in this site's archives. you still want to get into the "fert and squirt" part?
  3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

You have taken your time, I see, and constructed a very well thought out question. Good luck getting it answered here. I mean seriously, man, would you like us to draft up a business plan to present to a bank for a loan while we are at it?
  4. Hermanator

Who's being the dik$ here. pretty simple questions really. I'm not asking complete details and for the most part there are a few basic chemicals needed for the bulk of the spraying..... yes there is specialty sprays and a whole bunch more info needed that i will learn about for next year, but am trying to get same basic guide lines and pricing so i know if it is even some thing i want to get involved with.....

Don't need a business plan for some with your attitude, so no thanx. we are dong extremely well with our business already. Probably have more mowing accounts then you do and we have only been in the biz for 2 years now.

You know guys, this is kinda a duh question. Only a complete idiot would think that i want a complete break down of your spraying company/info, just need some basics. The reason i cannot use the archives to a complete help is pricing has made some huge changes in the last few months in case you didn't know that and i was hoping to get the most relevant info possible.

so thank for all your help:laugh:
  5. Hermanator

yes your right and no, your not being a d!ck. i have a lot to learn here and will do so, but i am in need of some basic guide lines to see if i even want to get started.

We spray round up here when the bermuda is dormant. Kills all undesirable grasses in the bermuda before it starts to grow.

6. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

These are simple questions, and based on them I would bet many of your customers know more about lawn care than you do. As mrkosar points out, it is a great way to loose customers, degrade your reputation, and if you are not licensed get a hell of a fine. A far as the economics, you can make more money in the chemical end of the business than in mowing, but you have to know what you are doing. You can make money at anything if you are good at it, so do a lawnsite search (which will answer all the questions you asked), go to Lesco or another supplier for info, and contact your state pesticide agency and/or local universities to get educational materials, then worry about pricing.
  7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am glad you are "dong extremely well":laugh: And you are right, you probably have more mowing accounts than I do. That would be easy since I don't mow. You have much homework to do, sir.
  8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

We are not d!cks but when we see a question posted like yours (how much, what to use...) it says "hey I am an unlicensed hack and I want to do this illegally and take your customers, and by the way heres the bird..."

What do you expect of us? We all went through the licensing process, most of us have degrees which cost many thousands if not hundreds of thousands. We worked hard for what we know and are not going to regurgitate it for someone who cares nothing about whats right and ethical.
  9. deltascapes

deltascapes LawnSite Member

I agree with you sod king, people like this (no license, no bond, no Insurance, NO CLUE) give the ones that have this a bad name to our business and all it does is require more restrictions. Yes i put my four years in college for a degree in landscape contracting. I am sorry if this seems mean but these kind of people hurt my business.
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be wrong, But i'm pretty sure we went through this at the beginning of the season with you.