Sreading/Spraying in Indiana, License or not?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SilkyLawns, May 13, 2006.

1. SilkyLawns

SilkyLawns LawnSite Member

I have Commercial accounts and spread pre-emergent, fertilizer and spray Trimec for broadleaf control. Also spray Seven on tree's when bag worms are visible. I work in Central Indiana. I carry 2 million dollar insurance policy to cover damages to my equipment as well and any damage to customer's property. I learned my trade from a licensed landscaper and on the job training for 6 years. I have been in business for 3 years myself. I have not taken classes for this and don't have any license to do so, just the knowledge I have learned from my previous boss. Do I need to get licensed to spray and spread chemicals like this?

2. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just bulk stuff that homeowners can get? Or is it regulated stuff?
    And if so, how are you buying it to begin with?
    (Obviously I know nothing on the subject.)

3. yep you need a license, check out the website of the state chemist.

4. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the State Chemist's Office website: http://www.isco.purdue.edu/

More info can be had at the page of Purdue Pesticide Program: http://www.btny.purdue.edu/PPP/

It's not difficult to get licensed, but it is definitely necessary. If you're using anything that kills anything on the lawn (weeds, insects, fungus, etc.), and getting paid for it, then you must be licensed. Even if the customer is supplying the product. Even if.... (fill in the blank).

FWIW: the Purdue Pesticide Program website was not working when I checked it a minute ago, they may be having a technical issue. But it's the correct address.

Hope this helps.

5. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

your f'n with a big fine!
    with your knowledge there should be no problem passing the exam.

6. SilkyLawns

SilkyLawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I will check out the Purdue web site and give them a call also. My previous boss was going to semd me to classes and pay for it but I guess I left him a little premature to let that happen. I know its not to expensive just hope I can fit the class in soon before I get busted. Not sure how I would get caught but its best to have professional creditials than to pay fines and have my wife think I'm a stupid LOSER!!!!!!!!
    Thanks again.......Rob C. Indiana