Sring Loaded Gate Lifts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-N-Garden Guy, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

Can anyone show me a detailed pic of there setup or maybe give me some help building one,THANX

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

www.elmlawnsite.com he built one. I may build one like that. No sense in losing your back.

4. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

On some rigs people use garage door springs and bolt down one end to the gate and the other end to the rail of the trailer.

5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

I have two compression springs, one on either side of the ramp. Eliminates the cable going down to the ramp. I'll try to snap a pic this weekend and post. (haven't been very lucky with posting pics before)

6. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

that a spring is like a loaded gun. Check the fasteners REGULARLY.
    Had a guy that worked at the same factory as me 15 years ago killed by a spring he was taking out of a car.
    Unbelievable amount of energy in a heavy duty spring under load.

7. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

Good point Mike, heard a story of a guy killed changing garage door spring too. Anyone got any info for enclosed trailer setup?

8. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've had 2 garage door springs snap on me. After the first one I learned to put a safety cable on it and when the second one snapped it made a hell of a racket however no one was hurt.

I'm buy a home in 2 weeks and the first thing I am going to do is put a safety cable on each of the 6 springs.

A safety cable is simple a piece of wire rope that is snaked through the middle of the spring and attached securely at both ends next to where the springs are attached. If (WHEN) a spring snaps, the cable will keep it from flying around and possibly causing property damage or physical harm.

The same idea should be applied when using a spring on a tailgate. It is cheap insurance.

9. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I have them on my landscape trailer, and truck tail gate. Really easy to make. I haven't done it yet, but threading a small lanyard style cable through is the way to go. You can also put a piece of plastic pvc pipe over the spring to keep it from slapping against the metal.

They are great, but dangerous.
    ;)

10. burninbill

burninbill LawnSite Member

I did what you guys are talking about with a big spring, one 4' piece of metal conduit, and some bolts. Worked great however I bought a new trailer and bought back savers for about $150 and there is no comparison. The set I built cost me about $25 but man those back savers are built to last, and work so good that I almost look forward to dropping my gate.

Spend the money, you will be glad you did

Jon Walker