SRM 265T or Stihl FS 56

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TripleT, Apr 25, 2011.

1. TripleT

TripleT LawnSite Member

When to buy Echo but was talked into buying a Stihl. Dealer had both, Echo at $320 and Stihl w/ handlebars at $270 (FS 55 w/o handle bars was $199). Thought this was strange because what he recommended was cheaper. Dealer recommended stihl said echo had been having issues w/ carbs. Did I make a mistake? Have not used it yet (having 2nd thoughts). Any advise would be appreciated.
    rt

2. M.M.A. Mowing

M.M.A. Mowing LawnSite Member

I have only ever used Stihl and have never been let down, besides their fuel lids, they have been great. Fires right up every time.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You just have to try it out and see if you're happy with it, don't fret over the comparison anymore.

4. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

the 55fs is a huge pos-get the echo

5. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

That is not a fare comparison, Stihl model is a home owner model, 265 is the feature commercial model of Echo and do cost a lot more. It really depend on your wallet!!!

6. TripleT

TripleT LawnSite Member

My main objective was to get a quality trimmer, money is always an issue but more importantly I did not want to end up with something that I constantly had to work on or a trimmer that would not perform. I'm a research idiot (not always a good thing) and normally I would not have changed my mine but I hate to buy something and end up putting up w/ less for years down the road. It will be used around a farm not commercially so maybe its not a big deal.
    rt

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Bigger the better that FS55 will be a turd If going spend the money buy a 110 or 130 more power for them farm weeds

8. topsites

In terms of quality, Stihl makes them all the same, be they homeowner or commercial grade
    the difference is in the amount of power they put out, but insofar as quality both homeowner
    and commercial models of Stihl's both last forever.

The only thing I can think of, on a farm you're going to need something closer to an FS-100rx?
    Like, if you're weedeating 3 miles of fence?
    Every week?

But I don't know, although I do agree that the 265 Echo is far more powerful, I would have compared
    the 265t to something like an FS85r (of course they don't make that one anymore) and I suppose maybe
    the FS90 but that's a 4-clyde and they're awful powerful too, either way I do think the FS55 might be
    a tee short on power.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This one is a no brain er....hands down that Echo265T is a big winner and we haven't had any major problems in 3 years. We just bought 3 more this year so we have a total of 9 running. There is NO carb problem on these units. This just might be the most reliable trimmer since that old Shind T270.

10. topsites

Oh yeah I still have my srm260s that I bought my 2nd year, although I did have to short block it last year
    and today I noticed it leaking fuel but not only is it in back of my truck meaning it still gets used but they
    are one of the best in terms of longevity.