srm260 troubles, help??

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mrbray101, Jan 4, 2006.

1. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

I have an echo srm260 string trimmer that has been acting up since i bought it used. It will not idle without feathering the trigger and I have to run it at about half choke to get full power. There are no pins on the carb that I can tell to adjust except for the screw that adjusts the throttle cable. I have played with that and no luck. Today I took everything apart and cleaned everything really well. Took apart all of the carb and cleaned it, cleaned the exhaust manifold/port, took the piston out and cleaned the dome and rings etc, still same results, it runs fine when in the half choke position but still will not idle. Does anyone have any suggestions. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me with the problem.

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check to be sure the crankshaft seals are okay? And you didn't mention changing out the fuel filter?

3. viper00085

viper00085 LawnSite Member
    from NC/VA

they had a lot of problems with those new style wyj carbs on all the new echo trimmers and last year they came out with new updated carbs that have a high speed adjustment screw under a limiter cap thats flush with the body of the carb almost, so its hard to see. if you have an older carb with out the adjuster, to be honest you are much better just buying a new carb from you dealer for $60 or so dollars. you will be much better off. part # a021000700

but do check for air leaks at the crank, intake side of engine as mentioned by someone already on here.

good luck

4. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies, I did change the fuel ns air filters, they are brand new. I have had a trimmer that leaked and could feel air coming out, this one however I do not feel any leaks. Thanks though, maybe ill just buy a new carb and see how that works. Its a nice trimmer and has a lot of power so I dont want to trash it.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You need to change the carb parts not just clean them. The alum nub that pushes the valve open wears and that causes problems.