1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

St Aug Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by spgseth, Aug 22, 2012.

1. spgseth

spgseth LawnSite Member

What is the best type of fertilizer for ST Aug, nitrogen, phospurus, or potash?
    When is the best time to apply?
    How do I prohibit clovers in the spring/winter?

2. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

Others will pipe in; best to check with your local agricultural extension or Master Gardners Club; google also help:waving:s

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I do not think N is something to do on SA in the heat of the summer but I sure like to feed it smaller amounts in the spring and late fall.

Pre-Em in the fall and spring for weed control.

What he said ^^

4. jvanvliet

Agreed summer heat and nitrogen is a bad mix... doesn't keep the squirt guys from pouring it on... :dizzy:

No weed and feed; treat that stuff seperatly. Why make the weed robust with nutrients when you want to kill it?

5. I apply N in the summer all the time. If you water it in, there is no reason it will burn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I do not have many SA lawns but I was under the impression hign N in the summer would cause disease or something. I could go back to school and check.

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

gray leaf spot that is the problem.

8. jvanvliet

The key is water...

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

To a point but my question is why add the N in the height of growing season and add more water if we are experiencing decent rains? IF you have did your spring apps correct your color should be there, naturally the turf will be growing, any color issues at that point should be able to be fixed with a good micro blend IMHO. What I see most common this time of year with the rain fall is light spots in the lawn where it has become chlorotic from the rainfall or some other reason. My PCO sub comes and hits it with a liquid micro package which contains Fe, Mg, Mn and shortly the problem is fixed in most cases. Adding N at this point in the season of any significance does nothing but stress the turf which is already growing like crazy and makes my mower and blowers work harder.

To the OP ...I suggest a more organic fertilizer this time of year like milorganite or Lesco has a great product IMHO for homeowners or those wishing not to spray...it is called Iron Plus.

10. Yea true, but why would you apply fert without watering it in??
    Posted via Mobile Device