St Aug questions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jds720, May 18, 2008.

1. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Ok so ive been up and running for 2 months, so far so good. Well some of my lawn are starting to look a little funny. I understand we have had ZERO rain, that might be causing the problem.
    So heres whats going on, Ill try to load pics later.

#1 A customer has a 10'x10' in the middle of his lawn thats not growing, around it is, but hte spot almost has a red tint to it. Also theres another spot that isnt growing, and it follows my mow line. I mow at 4in no shorter, and ive even raised it.

#2 Some of my lawns, at the drive way edge are browning up bad, and its about 8in of it all the way up the drive way edge.

#3 another lawn has spots were the grass has dies and roots are exposed, and its an irregular patteren, but its big 4'x3'. It looks like its been eaten.

Now, i have some yards that are BEAUTIFUL!! so its almost hit and miss. :dizzy:

2. jds720

jds720 LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody????????

3. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Pictures will help, but number 1 I would guess its a phosphorus deficiency, this will somewhat appears in soils when the ph is changing due to lack of rain.

2+3 my first guess would be grubs, but normally happens around driveways and sidewalks then works its way into the yards. Normally not a problem until 90+ temps pretty steady.

4. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's happening to my lawn. It's the rain...

5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like chinch bugs, they hate water and love dry St. Augustine. They start at the edges and work their way in. In about 3 weeks they can completely destroy a lawn.