St Augistine and overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Floridalandcare, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Just curious to see if there is a grass besides winter rye that I could overseed a St augisine lawn with . I was wondering if your up-north grasses would do well down here in the winter time . Im not very knowledgeabl about Fescues , Blugrass ,Tall fescue and grass like that ,so any info would be appreciated. The real reason is I know your grasses stripe and ours dont and I would love to bring some kind of Idea for stripping down here. RThank You

2. Floridalandcare

from Tampa

come on guys someone has an answer for me , At least tell me Im screwed and just deal with the BS St Augistine. Please

3. LonghornShortgrass

LonghornShortgrass LawnSite Member

I was told that you cannot overseed St. Augustine with anything and be successful. I have a St. Augustine yard, and i put down my fall fert. w/pre-m, and seeded 2 weeks later just to see what would occur. About 30-40% of the seed came up. (This was done about 6 weeks ago). I seeded again about 2 weeks agowith no new growth yet, but it has been very warm and dry for the last 2 weeks, and I have not watered it, not even once. I wouldn't do a customer's yard this way, but I wonder what my results would be if I hadn't used the pre-m. Know what you mean about striping, seems as if everyone here does...I was able to 'stripe' a little bit, 'bout as good as it gets down here!!!

4. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Whats wrong with rye grass? Have you used annual are perrenial?
    We use fescue all the time in CA. you guys dont have it in florida?

5. Floridalandcare

from Tampa

Type of Rye grass I dont know we have never spread it But I have had many customers that have and to me it is hell to cut, it is a very wet grass that holds alot of moisture and clumps very bad and if you have a mulch kit it makes twice as bad .As for the Fescue is that grass prominent in your area year round or only in the winter ? Or do you over-seed another type of grass with Fescue in the winter time? I know the northern grass would not stand a chance down here if Florida in the summer , But what about in the winter?

6. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If you use annual rye, it will be alot bigger mess to mow,Ill never use annual agian! The perenial is not near as bad, and will stay year around in the shade, and some times even in full sun. If the owner planted it, it may have been annual, because its much cheaper. Try the perenail on atleast one lawn, and see how it does, This is the first time I will be mulching the per. rye, so Ill see how bad it gets in the next few weeks, so far Ive just bagged it with the 21", Ive heard it may be a mess to mulch.
    Fescue sod is installed in 99% of new homes here, it does fine here in the summer even when it gets %100+,until the bermuda starts to take over, But we have sprinklers on all these lawns, and the humidity is not high at all.
    I think you need some help from someone from florida.

7. Floridalandcare

from Tampa

One more try . Come on Florida guys help me if you can.

8. Mataman

Mataman LawnSite Member

Depends on what you want. Do you bill per cut or offer a set monthly contract. For your per cut customers, spread the annual rye, keep your blades extremely sharp and press on. For your customers that are on a set billing, Perinnial rye is the way to go. It cost 2x as much but only takes 1/2 as much and looks so much better and doesn't grow as fast.

Not sure if you have a good distributor yet but here's one. They've bent over backwards to help me several hundred times.
    http://www.johndeerelandscapes.com
    you have two in town at;

9810 EAST BROADWAY
    TAMPA FL 33619
    Phone 813-621-2075
    Fax 813-626-3805

Address 5310 WEST CRENSHAW STREET
    TAMPA FL 33634
    Phone 813-806-0990
    Fax 813-806-0997