1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St Augistine question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Can you seed St. Augistine or is it grown from plugs only?
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you can seed it ... you need to sod or sprig it.
  3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Y'know...I have been planting and mowing St. Augustine for my whole life, I have never seen anyone try to start if from seed.

I know St. Augustine produces seeds...but, from what I remember, it's difficult to start that way. If your doing it as a personal little project, on your own...I'd like to know the results. If your thinking of doing it for a customer...uh, I would suggest sod.

I couldn't tell you how many St. Augustine lawns I have sodded or plugged...it's gotta be in the hundreds. I've seeded Bermuda yards and seeded Rye...but, never St Augustine.

I remember asking many, many yrs ago, about St. Augustine seeding...but, whatever answer I got, is lost somewhere in a shredded synapse. It must not have been viable, cuz I sure as heck have never done it.
  4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

there really is not way to get enough seeds to seed a lawn. Seed pods are the rarity in St augustine.

you can sod, plug, or sprig. Growing from sprigs is how the sod farms do it, but won't be very successful for us. too long and our lawns have traffic that would easily mess up the tender sprigs.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Sodding, sprigging and plugging are the only st.Augustine establishment methods I've ever heard of...
  6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone have a picture of St. Augistine? I have never seen it before. Mostly Fescue and Burmuda around here. Man I love Fescue!
  7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I lawn I did for a potential cust.. St.Augustine
  8. Sooners

Sooners LawnSite Member

Nice lawn!!! Txlawnking.

When I lived in Houston I took my edger clippings from the front and threw them behind my house. A couple of months later I had a nice patch of St. Augustine. Totally an accident.
  9. stuie

stuie LawnSite Member

Hey all
    My first post so be gentle!
    St. Augustine is known as Palmetto Buffalo here and it is a sterile form of Buffalo meaning little if any seed is produced.I love this grass my favourite and the one i use the most on landscape jobs.
    Sydney Australia
  10. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

st aug seeds are sterile