St.Augustein

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ChadsLawn, Aug 4, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A new customer of mine asked if I could rake her yard 1 or 2 time a year. Now Ive never raked a yard with this kind of grass. Dont I need to de-thatch instea of rake? There doesnt seem to be too much build up in the grass. But she asked. I didnt tell her an answer yet, because I told her it may need to be de-thatched.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Dont bother raking st.augustine. There is never enough buildup to be detrimental to the turf. Dethatching it is a real workout if it can even be done because the turf is too thick.

3. LawnmanJ

LawnmanJ LawnSite Member

+1 to that

4. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

According to Dr. Kopec at U of A, you really can't dethatch it per se. He said that in order to dethatch you more or less just scalp it. You can always email him and ask, however it can take at least a week to get a response at times. He's pretty busy with the research facility and seminars as well as teaching, but he has always answered every email I've sent.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just cut the grass low in the spring and put some compost and pre-m and you don't need to worry about build up. We start taking the St Augustine down in height to 2-3 inches when it gets cooler(Oct) so that if it freezes over the winter you don't have 4-5 inches of dead turf. Then in late February take it on down a little further.