1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine and flea's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by burnandreturn, Feb 10, 2004.

1. burnandreturn

burnandreturn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Germany

I have a client that wants a good shade tolerant grass but doesn't want St. Augustine, say's it promotes flea's. I've never heard that before, has anyone else?
  2. greensideup

greensideup LawnSite Member

Can't say that I've heard that one before. St. Aug will need to be treated with some type of pesticide to prevent a lot of other insects. Fleas are easy to kill. A pesticde will be req'd on just about any type warm season grass. Fleas should be no problem to treat with regular treatments. Chinch bug will be your biggest worry if no pesticde is used. SCOTT
  3. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have heard this and I experiance it with my two mutts on my home lawn wich is St Augustine. A little lime kills the fleas and you don't need much. Tell your client that it would not be exceptable horticultural practise to lay anything but St Augustine in a shade bound area and the turf will not grow exceptably for the money he spends if he go's with anything else. Then sell him on Lime apps or pesticide apps.

Good luck with it!
  4. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Gonna have to agree with Pinnacle it would be a little unethical for you to sell him any turf other than St. Aug for shade in Texas.

Dont know bout fleas but I have heard chiggers and fire ants dont like the St. Aug
  5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Fleas live on animals not in grass. St Augustine grass must be treated for Chinch Bugs and Sod Webworms on a regular basis. Those are the two biggest threats to St. Augustine. For heavily shaded areas in warm climates, nothing is better than St. Augustine.