st augustine and traffic tolerence

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lugnut#6, Sep 4, 2006.

1. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

could the weight of my 44" ZTR do damage to st Augustine

from what i understand,st Augustine doesn't tolerate traffic very well.
    in my yard there's footpath lines from the dogs as well as my family walking consistently in certain areas.

which makes me wonder if the weight of my mower could also be the cause of some other problem areas in my yard as well as a couple customers where im limited on the path i can take with the mower.its not leaving ruts but you can see slightly thinner and slightly yellow paths that match the width of the tires.

could the mower be crushing the stolons and causing it to die?
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Is there the possibiity of using a WB instead of of Z so direction can be changed periodically?
  3. lugnut#6

no....i only have the 1 mower

i had a 21" snapper but gave it to a friend who lost his mower in the storm
  4. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

Yes the weight will do damage to st augustine. Its best to alternate mowers if you can. You still should at least mow in different directions each time and that will help and try not to mow when the grass is wet.
  5. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't change your mowing pattern each week, you will start to see ruts.
  6. lugnut#6

its only on a couple properties where i have to squeeze between the side of the house and the neighbors fence.anywhere from 10 to 15 feet of clearance and theres usually an AC unit there also so its limited to only that portion of the yard.the customers dont seem to even notice it,but i do

everywhere else i do rotate my directions every week