1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

St. Augustine, edging and cutting it high

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, May 20, 2012.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

William and Jvan - here are a couple of photos from today I took some when I remembered but am having trouble getting some to upload.

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Progress
    [​IMG]

Before ( one swipe done)

[​IMG]

Density of turf - also note the blades have clean cuts and not rips.

[​IMG]

The rest simply will not upload ....will get more tomorrow

2. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

well down here is how they like it, you know there's more than one type of st Aug and there is a few yards I cut that has the type that I can't cut no lower than 3.5. the bug problem isn't as bad to me, I'm used to it I guess. In my old house I sold it had st Aug that looked better at a cut height of 3 in the spring and the summer 3.5, the neighbor across the street is cut at 3.5 in spring and 4 in summer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Landscape Poet

Remember you are in the Florida forum now and down here is really up there! Up there or not that is not a suggested cutting height for most St. Augustine cultivators unless you are mowing a lot of dwarf varieties such as Seville etc.

Here is something you maybe can share with your customers when you suggest a higher cut? http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/lh028

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Saw a neighbor do a first cut on his freshly resodded Floratam. Yep 2.5 inches with a dull blade. Went from vibrant green to varying shades of yellow/green with a few scalps thrown in for good measure. Then he started his irrigation. They never learn.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. I never got that with homeowners that do their own lawns(watering after they cut it).
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

my bad I didn't know It was a Florida forum can't tell from my phone. to be honest, I tried to explain it once to the few that rather it low but hey its their lawn, and that is a good link, thanks for the info.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Patriot Services

Look at the banner at very top of this page. Tells you what forum your in. All are welcome with relevant info to share. You won't find any stripe threads in here.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Patriot Services

This was at 1pm today too. Full hot sun. I'm sure he will blame the sod guy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Landscape Poet

For sure all are welcome and he will most likely find following our threads more useful in his work than the blue grass monkeys with the stripe threads. Beside we are a small group here and for some strange reason others do not seem to like to play with us here! :rolleyes:

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I live in Texas and we have STA too so I like to listen for expert advice from FL. Still waiting. :laugh:

J/K But honestly you guys could grow twiggs into trees.