St. Augustine, edging and cutting it high

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by williams lcm, May 20, 2012.

1. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

hell I never saw a stripe in a yard of louisiana unless its the tracks from the ztr!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks. I think.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. joel29m

joel29m LawnSite Senior Member

our LA forum is the same, don't feel bad....
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

And Here I thought EVERYTHING grew bigger in Texas?

5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I hear the same thing and often very true.

6. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the pictures. Those lawns look great

7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

Thank you and here are some more from today again I am having a problem getting some to load but I hope to get as many up as I can for you.

All of these lawns are currently being cut at 5 inches

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what it looks like upon our arrival.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again another one I think that is already been shown upon our arrival.

[​IMG]

and after
    [​IMG]

there might be more to follow if I can get them to load.

8. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I was told we mow over 5" too so what do I know.

9. CTPTURF

CTPTURF LawnSite Member

I only do chemical apps and its a constant battle to persuade homeowners to raise their mowing decks or to get them to tell their maintenance company to raise their decks. I have had to take a hard line approach on mowing heights and irrigation/cultural practices. Half of my leave behind paperwork has homeowner responsibilities that puts any failure on their part squarely in their lap.

One of the things that bothers me the most( and does the most damage), is using the mower as a leaf vacuum/shredder in the fall. The grass slows down in growth so the homeowner or landscaper lowers the deck a little bit every two weeks to suck up the leaves or just run the mower over it so the landscaper can bill the homeowner for a cut. Then the frost comes, turns it brown at 1.5-2 inches , then a hard freeze kills large patches. Come spring, the homeowner is busting my chops, "Why is my lawn dead?". Then I refer back to the paperwork ive been leaving after each application. What's amazing is some people go through this every year. The sod installers love them!

Todd
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mjlcare2

mjlcare2 LawnSite Member

Yards look good.. I deff couldn't get away with that on many of my yards, uneducated herd of customers that don't want to listen to the advice of the "pro's" .. Like I was saying. I have the guys run 4" on most st. aug. some down to 3.75 .. another problem is mixed yards, st aug and bahia/bermuda mix, never looks right above 4" so the St. aug. gets cut short the match the rest. O well.. until they care, I will only care so much. If they want to go on the fert and pest program, usually no problems at those heights..

I saw a fence in one of the pics, whats the smallest mower you have/ or whats the smallest gate you have to go thru?