1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

St Augustine grass turned brown

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by clyde, Aug 2, 2006.

1. clyde

clyde LawnSite Senior Member

i have a client that her yard has turned brown in many spots, large spots. Now she let it get high b4 she hired me and then she cut it short. I noticed it was turning brown right after i started but the rest came back , on the sides and in the back...

its a light brown and its dead any suggestions? she thinks its insects.

2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

it could be grubs worms not sure though you can try spreading insecticide and see if this helps
    if you can take photos to the co-op and see if they can help you identify the problem
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Post photos up here, I bet you its chinch bugs. If you look on the border of dead grass and live grass there should be a slight kill zone that isnt really in great condition but isnt dead yet. Get on your knees and pull the dead grass away and I bet you see chinch bugs at work. Google a photo of them if you dont know what they look like.
  4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

5. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You said that the customer cut it short and then the brown spots started showing up. One thing to keep in mind is maintaining the turf for optimum health which with St Augustine grass means keeping it at least 3-4 inches high. Cutting it short is not in the best interests of the turf and may have stressed it enough to allow other problems to take hold.