ST Augustine Grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adwmain, Sep 4, 2004.

1. adwmain

adwmain LawnSite Member

I need to get some seed for a customer, where do I get it.

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Seedland.com states that St Augustine seed is not available in the U.S. You will have to buy plugs.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

St augustine doesnot produce sufficient seeds to be a commerically viable option. you need to grow it from sprigs, plugs or lay sod. Sprigging is the cheapest, but won't work unless you attend to it constantly. Plugs are cheap but take a while to fill in. Quicker than seed though. Sod is the way to go even if you lay it in strips or checkerboard the sod.

Just remember, soil prep and watering twice a day (2 week minimum) are mandatory for new installs.

4. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

Speaking of this, I've often wondered, as a person who sees truckloads of "sod" every once in a while.. how is this processed?

Does anybody have pictures of a "sod house" in operation?

I would imagine, that acres and acres are sprigged, or what have you, with this grass, and then some kind of machine is rolled over it to shave it off and slice it up. I'm sure it's really a very interesting, yet not often thought about process.

5. CJ GreenScapes

CJ GreenScapes LawnSite Member
    from AL

We have several sod farms in my area. Yes, they are usually sprigged, grown, cut (with a machine), then sprigged again if necessary.

I would use St. Augustine sod if it were me. Fighting weeds and erosion while waiting on sprigs to fill in is a pain.

6. beransfixitinc

Can you post any pics, for those of us that never see them? I suppose they have to keep dumping fresh dirt every time they scrape?

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

[​IMG]

9. beransfixitinc

Very interesting photos. DO they have to keep that grass cut while it is growing, or do they just let it grow as tall as it wants to keep going? Man, I bet that's alot of acreage

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Steve has posted some excellent pictures of a working sod farm. Please note that there is a thin strip of grass left between the cuttings. This strip will spread and regrow the sod field.

There are two basic forms of Sod in Florida. Sand Sod and Muck Sod which depends on with type of soil in is grown in. Muck sod is normally better sod and may cost slightly more. Muck sod will install easier and establish quicker.

Two basic types of irrigation for sod farms are over head irrigation a flood irrigation. Over head with good drainage is better and has less fungus. Fungus is a problem on new sod because it is grown with high Nitrogen and lots of water.

Sod has a pallet life of 48 hours and after that it is not worth installing. However sod can be saved if you spread a ground mat and spread the sod out off the pallet. It must of course be watered but will stay good for over 30 days. I will do this with left over sod off a job and either use it on the next job or sell pieces out of my nursery. Oops former nursery BC (Before Charley).