St. Augustine is yellow

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 00bolt, Jul 2, 2012.

1. 00bolt

00bolt LawnSite Member

Im not a professional, but a homeowner who likes to do lawn work. I live in the DFW area of Texas.

My front yard is bermuda and I have had bermuda forever and have learned how to take care of it pretty well. Right now my front yard almost looks like a magazine with dark green, thick carpet look.

However, my backyard has a mix of bermuda and st. augustine. a year or two ago I put down some st. augustine sod in some shaded areas and its kinda taking over (which i dont mind). So in my backyard, I havent put down ANY weed killer at all and have only put down a scotts fertilizer and ironite this year. The bermuda in the backyard looks great, but where the st. augustine is, is yellow.

However, all the new runners and some areas of the st. augustine looks great and dark green. I dug up a little patch and took it to a local garden and my Lowes and they both said it didnt look like I had a disease or bugs, but looked like possibly over watering.

So i cut back and have only been watering the yard once a week for about 15 mins each zone in the backyard. Well apparently that is not enough because its getting really dried out and wilting, so i water a little more. its been about 1-2 months now of trying less water, more water, ironite, greensand, etc and nothing is making it dark healthy looking green.

any ideas?

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Please post some photos. And include in those photos some medium distant shots and several very closeups. What Scott's stuff did you use?

3. 00bolt

00bolt LawnSite Member

here are 3 pictures I took this morning.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Might want to consider raising your mowing height and sharpening your mower blades.

5. 00bolt

00bolt LawnSite Member

6. 00bolt

00bolt LawnSite Member

so you think by cutting it too low, it will cause the yellow and ugly looking? Since my yard isnt completely "filled" in yet, it looks better to cut it short. But maybe I should let it grow a little taller?

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to keep the St Augustine, it should never be cut below 3". A sharpened lawn mower blade would be a good idea as well. I had a look at that fertilizer. That explains the green bermuda and yellow St Augustine.

8. stickleylawncare

stickleylawncare LawnSite Member

The ugly, jagged edges are from a dull blade, it tears the grass instead of cutting it. St Augustine should be mowed at the lowest 3.5. (There are a few types that go lower) 4" is much healthier even higher if its in a shady spot. Repeatedly mowing low will thin out the lawn, and make a weak root system.

9. gunsnroses

gunsnroses LawnSite Senior Member

Grey leaf spot also, could be due to rain from Debbie. Irrigate early morning, and don't mow when grass is wet.

For the yellowing, you could have nematodes, but not much you can do for that.

I also see a common mulch problem called "muchisredimus". It is a common disorder seen mostly on roadside commercial properties.

10. suzook

suzook LawnSite Member

Looks like a fungus to me.